Tomato plant problems in green house

_baldeagle_July 8, 2013

For the last 2 years I've had this disease kill my tomato plants in the green house. It starts out with brown patches on the stem at the bottom or on some leaves and spreads eventually killing the whole plant. This year again when the problem started, I researched on the this topic and thought it might be blight. So I sprayed the plants with Organocide which is a organic insecticide and fungicide. As soon as I sprayed this, the leaves and stems started wilting even more. Now bottom half of the plants are pretty much dead. Any help will be appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Organocide

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
_baldeagle_

some more pics

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 7:05PM
_baldeagle_

this was how it looked before Organocide

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 7:06PM
_baldeagle_

any help with this will be appreciated.

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 2:54PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Stressed plants
- Need more light.
- Growing mix appears to be too wet.
- Difficult to ID the black stuff -- could be a non-damaging mold due to all the environmental moisture and low light.

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 7:07PM
_baldeagle_

Thanks jean001a. These plants are in a greenhouse and they get sun light from 1pm to about 8pm. I water them once a day for 20mins using drip bubblers. Don't know if that's too much water or not. Any idea how much watering tomato plants require ?

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 7:34PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Evenly moist growing medium.
Yours looks wet. Stick a finger in it to determine how wet it might be.

As for the amount of light, if the greenhouse is that "milky" material, needs more light. Perhaps rig fluorescents just above the plants.

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 12:12AM
_baldeagle_

Thanks again jean001a ! I'll try watering the plants only when needed (instead of using a timer for every day) and see if I can salvage these plants.

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 6:09PM
zzackey(8b GA)

Way too much water! Let them tell you when they need water. Poke your finger in the soil as far as you can and see if it feels wet. I would sterilize everything in the greenhouse and the pots and cages with a bleach solution and rinse them off well.

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 3:15PM
_baldeagle_

Thanks zackey ! I've stopped watering every day and will monitor and water them as needed. I will sterilize everything at the end of the season as you mentioned. I have a follow up question to the watering issue. I have couple of eggplants and pepper plants in the same green house which were being watered by the same timer. Any idea if they need similar watering as the tomatoes or do they need more frequent watering ?

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 3:57PM
More Discussions
Sick tomato plants
Some of my tomatoes look really sick. Is this a disease?...
JaneMacG
No tomatoes
First time this has ever happened. My tomato plant...
patti_june
black spots on tomatoes
HI, As my wife and I are sitting hear having a cup...
dennyida
Wilting Tomato Plant
I am growing several types of heirloom tomato plants...
awestruck
Tomatoes - yellow leaves and one plant starting to become droopy
Hi guys, I'm a novice gardener in Queensland and have...
tommytomatoes
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™