Is this Powdery Mildew or other problem?

mike4230July 29, 2010

My plants have recently been going downhill. Weather has been really hot and dry (several days of 100+) for a few weeks and then cooled off a little (low 90's) with an abundance of rain from afternoon thunderstorms. This all started during the hottest weather. I was watering everyday via drip hoses.

Some plants are much worse than others and have lost nearly all leaves. Other plants still have all the leaves but have a white coating on them. I suspect this to be powdery mildew from some research I did online, however would like confirmation and the best way to get rid of it! Pics at the link below.

When we got a bunch of rain many of the tomatoes split and a good deal have been rotting on the vine. Not sure if this is related to the above or a seperate problem?

http://picasaweb.google.com/MKatra/20100729#

Here is a link that might be useful: photos of plant leaves

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
torquill(z9/sunset15 CA)

That's not powdery mildew... that's spider mite damage, probably brought on by the heat wave and inevitable water stress.

There's at least one post on this forum about mites, and you can do some searches for it. A brief summary is that they are tough little buggers. All of my tomatoes have them to some degree, though I'm getting a big harvest despite that.

Good luck.

--Alison

Bookmark   August 10, 2010 at 2:21AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike4230

Thanks for the info, will look into it!

Bookmark   August 12, 2010 at 9:37AM
More Discussions
No tomatoes
First time this has ever happened. My tomato plant...
patti_june
Tomatoes - yellow leaves and one plant starting to become droopy
Hi guys, I'm a novice gardener in Queensland and have...
tommytomatoes
Can you identify what's happening to my Celebrity Tomato?
Just planted my celebrity tomato into a raised garden....
sabinre
Help with my Tomato Plant
Hello, I need some help with my tomato plant. About...
arti_asharma
Yellow spots on leaves
Hi, I have several tomato plants that I started as...
jdftwrth
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™