Solarization method for garden

lhendri479June 16, 2009

If you want a new garden spot, here is a good method without any of the back breaking labor. Get clear construction plastic and lay it out where you need it. Anchor it down with bricks, etc.

Now the easy part - let the sun do the work and actually cook the grass, weeds, etc. It will also kill all the weed seed down to about 1 foot.

How long does it take - as long as necessary.

It works - do a search for solarization

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I usually prefer the Roundup method. It's much quicker, more environmentally friendly (than buying huge sheets of plastic), and soooo much easier.

Solarization does have it's place (where certain soil-borne pathogens are present, for instance), but, for me, it's not my first choice for a new garden spot. Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying it's a bad idea. I'm just saying that there are other options.

Bookmark   June 16, 2009 at 4:10PM
nana26(6/7)

But isn't Roundup a chemical?

Bookmark   June 19, 2009 at 8:14PM
lhendri479

Nana26 - thanks for saying that. And roundup does not kill the weed seeds. When you turn the soil over - oh, oh, here come the weeds growing from those little weed seeds!!

And as far as environmentally friendly goes - I use the same plastic that I used for solarizing for lots of other things too (drop cloth, etc) Just hose it off after using on the garden and hang it up to dry. There ya go - it keeps forever.

Linda In NC

Bookmark   June 20, 2009 at 3:17AM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Nana,

Chemicals are not bad just because they are chemicals! Even most food contains lots of chemicals. You use lots of different chemicals every day! Roundup is a very safe chemical compared to almost any other chemical you would be likely to use in your garden or landscape. When it hits soil or even dirty water, it quickly degrades into an environmentally safe state. In fact, there is usually an increase in microbes in soils shortly after being treated with glyphosate. Oh, that reminds me, solarization kills out a lot of the microbes in the soil, and that's one of its disadvantages. Plants need microbes to live and so the soil is less productive until the good microbes are reestablished.

Oh, and as for weed seeds, they are dispersed by wind, birds, and other means, so they come back in short order anyway.

Bookmark   June 20, 2009 at 11:33AM
More Discussions
groundcovers in SW Tennessee
I had lots of Lamium, creeping Thyme, mints in Illinois...
ryseryse_2004
Help with Knockout Roses
I have lost 4 mature Knockout Roses, about 10 years...
neil64
Evergreen trees with large leaves
I'm seeing them all around and wonder what they are?...
ryseryse_2004
Memphis Area Master Gardeners Spring Fling 2015
Memphis Area Master Gardeners Kick-Off the 2015 Gardening...
barbcull
Japanese Beetle traps & Milky Spore?
I think I read a post on one of the rose forums where...
krikit
Sponsored Products
Dublin Rug by Mat-The-Basics
$343.00 | Lumens
Nature's Balance Print
| Dot & Bo
Darya Rugs Kazak, Red, 3'6" x 5'3" M1729-401
Darya Rugs
Laurel Spring Wall Art
Grandin Road
Glitterazzi International NTC Pop Art Santa Ornament
$89.50 | FRONTGATE