Wilted branches, hollow stems

pksinan(z7NM)July 20, 2006

This year has been a complete disaster with too many problems to describle. One in particular, however, that I've never seen before: Random branches on a couple of my plants are wilting with no discoloration or lesions on the foliage. These branches tend to be younger and high up on the plant. When I cut them off, I notice the stems are almost completely hollow. Any idea what's causing this? Also, the skin on some of the fruits on these plants is wrinkling and the fruits are becoming mushy.

--Peter

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
torquill(z9/sunset15 CA)

The hollow stems may be from a stalk borer. It's not a significant threat on established plants, but it can be quite annoying. There's no really good control -- some people slice out the hollowed part and try to catch the caterpillar, but destruction of nearby weeds is probably more effective. Sprays won't do anything.

If the fruit that is wrinkling and turning mushy isn't on the wilting stems, there may be a problem with inconsistent water. It can cause shriveling as well as splitting and blossom-end rot, and the end result is generally mealy and tasteless. I'm assuming that the fruit is otherwise edible... mulching well may take care of that, and watering a bit more often.

--Alison

Bookmark   July 20, 2006 at 10:33PM
More Discussions
Yellow spots on leaves
Hi, I have several tomato plants that I started as...
jdftwrth
Can you identify what's happening to my Celebrity Tomato?
Just planted my celebrity tomato into a raised garden....
sabinre
Tomato Leaf curl
I'm having problems with my Beefsteak tomatoes. The...
DoctorAche
Need help with wilt
Since the ground is infected with the wilt and don't...
oldgardenguy_zone6
Tomato Leaves Turning Blackish
I planted my tomatoes from seeds two months ago. They...
tomatodad
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™