Is this BER?

mike48858(z5 MI)July 5, 2005

Hi all!

I have 2 Bush Early Girl plants potted in 5-gallon buckets. The plants are very vigorous and bushy. They both have 20+ small fruit growing on them.

During a major heat-wave last week, the plants became very limp and wilted, despite daily watering. Now, some of the fruit are developing sunkened, brown areas near the bottom of the tomato. It is not, however, at the bottom tip, where the blossoms were. It is scattered around the bottom of the fruit.

Is this BER? I always thought BER showed up at the very bottom of the tomato. Also, I have never had BER show up on container plants before, but I have never grown Bush Early Girl either.

Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Gimme3Steps(7 or 8, NE GA)

YEP...All Day Long, Mike...thats BER.

Bookmark   July 5, 2005 at 11:30PM
cynthiay(z7 MD)

Is BER caused by the plants getting wilted and then being watered? Could a lack of calcium also be a factor? Container tomatoes seem to need more supplementation that in-ground tomatoes.

Bookmark   July 6, 2005 at 12:36AM
Gimme3Steps(7 or 8, NE GA)

A Tomato plant is Very Sensitive, when bearing fruit, to soil moisture fluctuation. It expects no such drastic fluctuation, and when grown in good tilthy earth, it will respond naturally, with it's roots, to resolve the issue to it's own content. Growin in a pot....it dont have that option...)))

Bookmark   July 6, 2005 at 1:44AM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

During a major heat-wave last week, the plants became very limp and wilted, despite daily watering

I guess I'm the odd person out here, LOL, but to me it doesn't look like BER.

The conditions you describe could be allowing for any number of normal environmental bacteria and fungi to get into any breaks in the skin when conditions are damp and hot and there's little air movementand initiate a rotting process. Black Mold Rot can appear exactly as your picture shows.

And it could be BER as well, it really could, but you'll know in the next few weeks b'c if it is BER it will go away.

Carolyn

Bookmark   July 6, 2005 at 10:29AM
More Discussions
What is this?
Hi! I am brand new at growing tomatoes and just bought...
ItsMeET
Wilting Tomato Plant
I am growing several types of heirloom tomato plants...
awestruck
What is this
Is this septoria leaf spot, bacterial speck or early...
lubadub
Tomato Pests & Diseases
Home-grown tomatoes are a source of pride, a thing...
priyaspageo
New Forum Sucks
Why is it when you have something great someone comes...
hoosier318
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™