Tomato leaves black edges

sirzoltan(z7 - Albuq NM)July 10, 2005

Please help!

On one of my tomato plants [maybe 2], the edges of the leaves are turning a dark brown or black and shriveling up [of course]. To clarify, not all of the leaves but several of them are showing this problem. There is damage to the leaves only - there is no damage to the stem.

Also in case this is important - I ran out of places to plant in the ground this year so these are in "really" big pots. Only the tomato plants in the pots are showing this problem. The ones planted in the ground look fine and healthy.

Any idea whats wrong?

Please find a attached.

Thanks in advance,

Chad

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bananalover(GA z7b)

What kind of pots are they? It is possible that plant roots are getting too hot because the pots are getting too hot. Try slipping yours into another larger pot that will help keep the pot the plant is in cooler.

Bookmark   July 11, 2005 at 6:47PM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

Only the tomato plants in the pots are showing this problem. The ones planted in the ground look fine and healthy.

And therein lies the problem.

Growing in containers, especially in your hot area, is a challenge. You really need to sometimes water them a couple of times a day. Since you said BIG pots I assume that crowding is not a problem.

Even if you could shade them as several of my friends in NM do, might help. They use those shade cloths you can buy there locally.

Carolyn

Bookmark   July 11, 2005 at 7:40PM
farkee(Florida)

SirZoltan, I have never seen necrotic edges like that in pictures of diseases, etc so I did not hazard a guess. Did you find out anything? Did it progress?

I have read that potassium def. can effect leaf margins but again I have not seen anything quite like that at reference sites.

Bookmark   July 17, 2005 at 9:46PM
More Discussions
Mysterious disappearing Tomatoes
I'm in Richmond, VA (23233, if that helps). I moved...
Lorahv
tomatoes
a little green like fly is hammering my crop for the...
westy54
What is this?
What is causing this on my tomatoes? Pests? Bugs?
kyleindebary
Tomato Wilt
Which Heirloom varieties are wilt resistant
oldgardenguy_zone6
Wilting Tomato Plant
I am growing several types of heirloom tomato plants...
awestruck
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™