Blue Ridge Black Fans (?)

reginald_25(5)January 10, 2014

Hey, any gardeners with experience doing Blue Ridge Black ? Fetched a few seeds from Tatiana, not via a trade. Rather rarefied in distribution at this time, I think. Comments on it, particularly taste-wise, would be appreciated.

Reggie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

I'm curious about it, as my parents used to live two or three miles from East Flat Rock.

Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 11:28PM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

Since Tania is offering it for the first time for 2014 I doubt that anyone here can help you in that regard unless it's an SSE member and I already did that for you below..

From the link below you'll also see that has been previously SSE listed and I do happen to have my 2013 SSE annual at the top of a pile of yearbooks near me and can at least tell you what they said, I think I remember that it was first SSE listed in 2010,so nothing new.

NY, same info that Tania has and says 1# black beefsteaks, indet, PL, great flavor ,productive, seeds from Millard, the originator of the variety.

WI, 8-12 oz pink/black, other basic traits, excellent taste, seeds from someone in TX who got the seeds from Millard,

Because of the post above mine I'm just adding that Millard has introduced quite a few varieties, Captain Lucky and Captain Lucky White come to mind and those two and the one being asked about are all from accidental cross pollinations, selections made and named when genetic stability has been reached, which can take, usually,from 4 to maybe 7 years based on what the original parents were.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Ridge Black

This post was edited by carolyn137 on Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 23:44

Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 11:35PM
reginald_25(5)

I'm curious about it, as my parents used to live two or three miles from East Flat Rock.
I had reckoned that Carolyn137 may have been instrumental in the development of this variety. Or at least well-conversed in its particulars via personal experience. Are strong pot-leaf contenders thus far in my humble, meager and pathetic patch. However, its taste is what I have a keen interest in. I shall find out lest disaster striketh me in some fashion.
Carolyn may notice some residue of 2,4,5,6-Tetrachlorophthalonitrile on some of the leaves of plant in image. Prepared my own "concentration" of it from powder... much, much cheaper than buying the liquid concentrate. For those who contemplate doing this, it is essential to avoid its (powder) physical contact with eyes.
Reggie

Bookmark   June 28, 2014 at 3:18PM
More Discussions
Tomatoes from my trip to Sicily
I went back this summer to my birthplace, Sicily and...
sicilianu
Better Boy or Brandy Boy?
I have Better Boy seeds and considering Brandy Boy....
shijitake
Rio Grande Tomato
Okay got a quick question but can't seem to find the...
brenzo77
1st time growing tomato seeds in plugs
Hello, this is my first time growing tomato seeds in...
Thomas Eyr
Cost per tomato?
I'm not going to even guess. I'm going to order 8...
lucillle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™