cucumber beetles?

new-gardener123(6/7)June 26, 2009

I think I have cucumber beetles but I am not sure. They look like the pictures I have seen. One day nothing, then next day probably 40 but only on the broccoli. The broc never made heads or anything but I just left it there. I have cucs, pumpkins, cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon, corn, beans, eggplant, peas, but no beetles on any of those. I pulled out the broc today and killed all the beetles I could see. They were slow movers, they did not fly. Is that normal? I assumed they would fly. Is there anything else it could have been? Any ideas why on the broccoli and nothing else? I am going to keep watching and hand pick like I have been doing with squash bugs and eggs. I also read about Kaolin clay which I think I will try.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rockguy(7a)

Cuke beetles can definitely fly. There are the "spotted" and the "striped" cucumber beetles, both about the same size.

Bookmark   June 27, 2009 at 11:57PM
novice_2009(zone 6b)

I've seen a couple of the striped beetles, it was late in the evening, and I picked them and squashed them. What do the spotted beetles look like? I've seen a yellowish beetle, spotted, looks kinda like a ladybug. Is that it?

Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 2:44PM
dvtown(6b)

Sounds like it to me. The striped and the spotted look pretty much the same except for their markings. Those things like to carry nasty stuff like verticulum wilt to your cucumbers. They got mine last year, I'm on the lookout this year!

Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 10:49PM
More Discussions
Pollinator habitat
I live in Virginia, but I am installing a pollinator...
Nell
**** Spring 2015 East Tennessee Plant Swap ****
The Spring 2015 East Tennessee Plant Swap will be held...
brandon7 TN_zone
Spigelia Marilandica??? Anybody?
I got an email from a friend of one of our MTPS-ers...
bigorangevol
Evergreen trees with large leaves
I'm seeing them all around and wonder what they are?...
ryseryse_2004
Williamson County Master Gardener Plant Sale and Garden Expo
Williamson County Master Gardner Association Invites...
bbhillarts
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™