New Tennessee Gardener

Rose87June 29, 2014

I have lived in Tennessee for about 5 years now but just bought a house. I want to plant new shrubs and flowers in the two flower beds next to my house but have no idea where to even start. I am in zone 6 and these flower beds would get exposed to full sunlight. I want color but balance to really shape up the front yard and accent the house.
A couple of the flowers I've planted have died instantly and the shrubs that are already there are twiggy and hardly ever green. I like shrubs that I can trim and give a more defined shape.
Any suggestions on what to plant here would be extremely helpful.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Hey Rose,

Sorry no one has answered your question yet. At least for me, it's a hard thing to do to give plant suggestions without seeing the location and being familiar with site conditions.

You may have heard this before, but I think it's good advice...look around your neighborhood and see what catches your eye. What does good for a neighbor with similar conditions to yours, should do well for you. Also, local nurseries should be able to tell you what they've had luck with. However, don't take everything you hear from the nursery as the final answer. Collect ideas from multiple sources and pick what seems best or most likely correct to you.

Once you make some selections, post them here and I'll bet you can get more feedback. People with experience with a particular plant can tell you what worked or didn't work for them. It's a lot easier to tell about personal experiences than to try to make decisions or design suggestions for someone else.

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 10:08PM
TreeRoots

I agree with the above, and am curious which plants you've tried. Planting in full sun is very difficult if you aren't a dedicated waterer (at least until the plantings get established). However, here are a few of my favorites for the sun garden:
Boxwoods are generally everyone's first pick when looking for an (evergreen,) easily shapeable shrub. You can turn rows of them into small, curving lines around the porch, or have big round globes against the house, or probably even animal shapes, if you're into that sort of thing ;)
Coneflowers, Sedum, Daylilies, Salvia, Tall Phlox, Aster, Black Eyed Susan, Coreopsis, Dianthus, Joe Pye Weed, Variegated Monkey Grass, Crocosmia, Iris, Hardy Hibiscus, Bee Balm, Catmint, Lobelia Cardinalis, Milkweed. Those are just the more common plants that do really well in the middle of summer, here, for me. I suggest going to Lowes or somewhere, and looking through the magazines they have on gardening.. You can pick out flowers you like in them, and get inspiration from the articles.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 11:11PM
Ceilidhfae

One thats a safe bet would be a hydrangea. They are fairly hardy and would bring that color that your looking for. Another might be the knock out rose. They seem to be fairly hardy as well, with the color you're looking for. Good luck and happy gardening!

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 1:45PM
AaranM(6aTN)

I'm in zone 6 too and have had a hard time. I finally realized that bulbs do very well and the plants listed in the above posts. I'll add cotton, which is related to hibiscus and mallows which grow here, sage, sweet pea (I have some seed I could give you), Mist flower, angelonia, sea thrift, bachelor button, bee balm, peony, ajuga, yarrow, ironweed, beefsteak plant....

Bookmark   August 25, 2014 at 6:06PM
More Discussions
Memphis Area Master Gardeners Spring Fling 2015
Memphis Area Master Gardeners Kick-Off the 2015 Gardening...
barbcull
Japanese Beetle traps & Milky Spore?
I think I read a post on one of the rose forums where...
krikit
Project for Community Center
I just recently became aware of an opportunity to help...
forthechildren
Growing Grapes in Tennessee
In hopes of getting some conversation going in our...
brandon7 TN_zone
New to Knoxville
I'm new to Knoxville TN and new to gardening in general....
freshvegetables
Sponsored Products
Tropitone Boulevard Waste Receptacle 44D
LuxeDecor
Alpine Furniture Albany 7 Piece Dining Set with Optional Server - ALPE202
Hayneedle
12' Red Cedar Crescent Moon Plank Bridge
Fifthroom.com
Owl Birdhouse
$19.99 | zulily
Paper Carrot Set
$7.99 | zulily