How to get ready for Spring!

boyzOctober 14, 2009

Hello everyone. A little background first. I am not really new to SFG. Several years ago I put in 4 beds and filled it with MM. I was so disappointed at how my plants did that first year. Especially looking right next door and seeing my neighbor's garden thriving in plain old dirt. :) The following year with some garden fertilizer, time and compost, my garden did much better.

Now we have moved and I am starting over again. Currently I am building my boxes and getting ready for spring. So I have a few questions.

1. When I prepare my MM in the spring, what would you recommend adding to it so I don't have a disappointing first season? (fertilizer etc.?)

2. Since we have only been in our new house several months I have not had time to start a compost pile. What can I do now to have some sort of compost that will be ready in the spring. I don't have a composter yet (will buy one at Costco come spring). I thought of maybe buying a few bags of compost and adding leaves, grass, etc. to it, but I will just have to have it on the ground. And we live in a very windy area. I don't know if that will work or not.

Any suggestions would be great! I so missed my garden this year and will be disappointed if I don't get many peas and tomatoes next year!

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
engineeredgarden(7, nw Alabama)

You have got to fertilize the plants throughout the season, regardless of what Mel says. I use synthetic, and at the suggested frequency/rate that my local extension office suggests for any variety of plant.
Make a big pile of leaves, grass clippings, and other ingredients - then put a big tarp over it. Weight the corners down with cinder blocks, and you should do pretty good.

EG

Bookmark   October 14, 2009 at 5:36PM
More Discussions
Mighty Matos / Mighty Veggies and SFG
Does anyone here have experience with SFG and Mighty...
tafountain
Weed Barrier
I was excited to find this forum. I started dabbling...
mtnrunner
Attic Insulation Vermiculite safe?
I am starting my SFG this year and just picked up some...
jcoenen
How deep does a raised bed need to be?
I'm new to SFG and was wondering if the depth of the...
pinkkpearls
pine vs cedar for raised bed
I am building 2 4'x8' raised beds. Last year I built...
rersoap
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™