help! my green bean plants are dieing!

ashley_1970(9)October 1, 2005

i can't seem to understand how to water these bean plants.. I have a 4X4 raised bed garden and had three healthy green bean plants and was giving them a nice soak in the am.

I live in Phoenix and it was a very hot summer. It has just recently started cooling off at night and in the morning. One of the plants has died. The leaves just shriveled up and died and the second looks to be doing the same. I don't know if i am overwatering or underwatering.

I skipped waterning them today to see what happens. Will check them in the morning. What do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
username_5(banned for no reason)

I don't know what the bean season is in your area, but in my area the plant would have already been dead. I am assuming these are bush beans and not pole beans? Even my pole beans have finished for the year and are in decline. Just pulled them all up yesterday.

Bookmark   October 2, 2005 at 8:02PM
kris(8b)

I would suspect some sort of bacteria fungus or virus. I think pythium causes sudden wilt in beans. Check with the guys over on the vegi forum, they know way more. Usually when a plant suddenly keals over it is some sort of disease. My beans are just setting flowers here in Tx for a fall crop. So unless your nearing freezing temps I don't think your season is over.

Bookmark   October 3, 2005 at 10:56PM
therainfallsup

try asking in the vegetable forum where you may find people who know what may be effecting you beans.

Bookmark   October 5, 2005 at 8:44AM
taichi(92262)

Hi
I am in Palm Springs, California and I just picked and ate the first Kentucky Wonder pole beans of the season. Also I was able to pick and eat the first okra. Got one new cucumber on the one vine that survived the summer.

8 great tomato plants are 12 foot high they are flowering now but no setting. the Sweet 100 tomatos are going great they are green now.

Two egg plants survived the summer also. These plant will give us more than we can eat. They are in bloom now but as yet not fruit.

Basil is great. One plant. I just got to keep picking it and keeping it from going to seed.

I have one potato plant also.

All these are planted in Two 8X4 raised beds. The supersweet 100 cherry tomatos are in one 4X4 raised bed.

Also in the yard is one tangeringe grafted onto sour orange. A Lemon, Mexican Lime, valencia orange and grapfruit. There is a dwarf plumb tree as well.
I think I lost to peach trees and one apple tree.

I almost forgot I planted charlston grey watermellons as ground cover. They taste great.

Any suggestion on what to plant and at what time would be great.

Noeld

Here is a link that might be useful: Tai Chi Education and Research Institute

Bookmark   November 3, 2005 at 4:26PM
More Discussions
Vining plants and selection for beginner.
So glad to have found this resource! I am starting...
GreenFox
Sealing wood framed raised boxes?
I'm planning on building several raised beds for my...
djscrapbooks
Experiment - Soilless mixture for raised beds
This is my first post to the GardenWeb Forums. I have...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
New to gardening and already disappointed in myself :(
I decided to make a raised bed garden and start growing...
cammie895
What should I use to fill my raised beds?
I'm going to be making some raised beds in my backyard...
hazeldazel
Sponsored Products
Indoor/Outdoor Green Striped Rug (7'10 x 10'10)
Overstock.com
Emerald Home Clearview Loveseat with 2 Pillows - U3610-01-08
$691.99 | Hayneedle
Volt Storage Ottoman in Light Green
$49.00 | LexMod
Bertoia Side Chair
Design Within Reach
Reversible Stool and Laundry Basket Available in Multiple Finishes
TheBathOutlet
Accent Rug: Vista Off White 2' x 3'
$97.97 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™