Best Tomatoes for Coastal BC

slazin(z8 BC)January 3, 2013

I'm overwhelmed by catalogues. Guess I'm getting old, but it seems there are just TOO MANY choices.

Anyway, I'm trying to decide on tomato seeds. I always grow Tumbler and Juliet, and they do well. Sometimes Celebrity does well, sometimes not. Same for La Roma. What I need are some suggestions for early and mid-season, medium (no beefsteak types), resistant to everything they need to be resistant to, that you've found tasty and relatively foolproof.

I grow them in 5-gal pots in a hoophouse, with cages. I live in the Gulf Islands, BC. We often get hotter, drier summers than the mainland - but with the crazy weather over the last few years - who knows?

Thanks, from a mentally exhausted old gardener (and I haven't even started on the annuals yet . . .)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kevinitis(5)

You might try a few cooler weather varieties. Also, here in the intermountain west (Utah) VR moscow does really well. We have tempermental weather, often cool springs, turning rapidly to hot (95-105 degrees) and dry for extended periods, and then cool to cold nights. VR means verticilum resistant. Moscow is productive, round (not beefsteak), a great canner and is midseason. Its available commercially at several seed vendors. Just google VR moscow to find seeds.

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 12:18PM
More Discussions
online source for tomato plants on West Coast
Hi everyone, I'm having difficulties navigating this...
drcindy
Color of Tomato Plants
As anyone that follows my posts knows, I am growing...
garf_gw
How do I stabilize a possible hybrid?
Hi, I am in New Zealand where heirloom seeds are relatively...
Microphobik
Not All Tomatoes Are Round n Red
Not All Tomatoes Are Round n Red. But when we hear...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
How many cherry tomatoes can I put in one 10 gallon pot?
Can I grow 3 or 4 plants together? It's to save me...
shijitake
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™