Buy Aspidistra in Tennessee - Age old question

candiceplantsstuffJune 25, 2009

I've searched the forums and internet and called several nursery and garden centers looking for Aspidistra. The best I can do is a garden center that will order an 8 inch pot for $25!! I'd like to have a bigger one, but the 10 inch is $40, etc. etc. and that's a little out of my price range.

Does anyone have specific places in Tennessee where they have actually bought Aspidistra or seen them? I live in Nashville, but I travel with my job across the state, so really anywhere will do.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I doubt you'll find a good selection locally. Have you checked out Plants Delight? They have about 25 different types and at least eight different species.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aspidistra at Plants Delight

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 8:29AM
candiceplantsstuff

I wonder how big a 24 fl oz pot is in inches. That's how Plants Delight describes the size of what you are purchasing.

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 12:07PM
paperart

You know they used to be popular house plants -i guess you tried all the big box stores. Seems like I used to see them in the indoor section of lowes & Home Depot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Tips

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 12:25PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I'm not at home to measure one of the pots, but I think it's about 3" x 3" x 6". Watching them grow is half the fun, and, if they're happy, they'll grow quickly.

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 1:13PM
madmouser(7 TN)

Check with Stanley's in Knoxville. I'm sure I've seen them there. They have a huge greenhouse with lots of house plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stanley's Greenhouse

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 3:33PM
mspam(7)

I saw some a few days ago at John Deere on Hillsboro Road at Mack Hatcher in Franklin.

Here is a link that might be useful: John Deere in Franklin

Bookmark   July 1, 2009 at 1:41PM
fernzilla(8)

I see Aspidistra on Ebay alot. I remember seeing one auction for 25 plants. I have seen the variegated variety on Ebay too. They usually aren't very expensive. Aspidistra is so slow growing that most people really would like a larger plant.

Bookmark   July 14, 2009 at 7:33AM
mww181(7 TN)

I bought mine at Pond and Plants nursery in Dayton, Tn. I think I gave 6 dollars for a 1 gallon size pot full. They have lots of neat stuff especially if you like dwarf conifers.

Bookmark   July 17, 2009 at 7:13PM
More Discussions
New Gardener Looking for Help :D
Hey guys, I'm just an average teenager looking to get...
GardenerLee
Any chicken coop experts?
We have what I thought was a well-built chicken coop....
fraziertoo
Which Fruit Trees to plant?
I just purchased 3 acres and a small house. The entire...
hopin4rain
Pollinator habitat
I live in Virginia, but I am installing a pollinator...
Nell
Is this fungus?
Please take a look at the pictures. There is something...
rhaynes
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™