daikon (giant asian white radish) in SFG?

kawaiineko_gardener(5a)October 31, 2011

I'm wondering if it's possible to grow daikon in the square foot garden? If so, how many should be planted per square?

According to a site I found that gives growing instructions for daikon, the thinned spacing per plant (PLANT spacing NOT row spacing) should be 6".

I'm wondering if it's possible to grow daikon in SFG then what variety would be best? There are two types I have in mind; the traditional variety that grows 2'-3' in length with the size of the root.

However, there are also Korean and Chinese varieties that range in size from 4"-6" with the size of the root, the others being slightly larger with 6"-8" in size with the root.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chudak(10 San Diego)

I grew Miyashige last year in my SFG (raised beds). The foiage on these things gets BIG and the roots themselves were over a foot long.

Here is a picture of one of the roots with my 8" wusthoff chef's knife for size comparison:

Giant Daikon

Here is a picture of the growing tops. Note that they send up a stalk with florets that looks a heckuva lot like broccoli raab. They are a brassica so that's not entirely surprising. I cut these and sauteed them up to use in some pasta and they were great:

I planted them 4 to a square foot. I wouldn't put anymore in than that...they were very 'cozy' at that spacing.

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 1:56PM
ibarbidahl(9 (tampa-ish))

I plant mine closer (9pr sq) and then harvest the odd ones first. That opens the space to allow some of the roots to grow larger and allows me to enjoy them faster! The roots also tend to get spicier as they get larger so I prefer the smaller 6" or less roots and my husband and son like the larger roots.
The tops are perfectly edible, too - so we tend to harvest the leaves here and there as well.
Even the small ones are nice....

but they are rather crowded at first - they seem to take it fine. Just harvest the ones that size up first. :-)

Bookmark   November 17, 2011 at 1:52PM
kddeford

My Sf garden sits on sand so i planted Daikon for the first time this year. I put 8 in a staggered pattern and they grew between two and three feet each. I think I probably could have put in 12 and pulled some early without loosing size on the 8 I would have kept.

Bookmark   December 29, 2011 at 3:18PM
jolj(7b/8a)

chudak You have what one garden writer call carrot soil.
Deep & loose enough to grow carrot with out them turning at the bottom of the bed soil.
Is this good soil or soil that you have dug before you put the beds in?
Great photos.

Bookmark   January 23, 2012 at 8:21PM
More Discussions
Watery soil under raised bed
Hey all, I am new to raised beds, just started construction...
jazz1234
Garlic crop rotating?
I started a bed 4'x6' last full of garlic. I was a...
disneynut1977
Cinder block raised bed & drainage
Hi, I am new to this forum and gardening so please...
Alex Rumjancevs
staining wood for raised beds.
I'm wanting to build a raised bed and first went out...
johnmcd348
Probably A Dumb Question But
My backyard in AZ is entirely gravel/rocks and pavers....
tascer
Sponsored Products
Mirage P Wall Sconce
Lightology
Veneto Luce Argyle Five-Light Brushed Nickel Chandelier
$720.00 | Bellacor
Fabric Shade With Silver Ceramic Base Transitional Table Lamp
ParrotUncle
Rose Canton Porcelain Melon Jar Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Courtyard Abstract Navy/Beige Rug (2' x 3'7)
Overstock.com
Zaneen | Noa Wall or Ceiling Light
$665.60 | YLighting
White Stackable Doored Modular Storage Cube - Set of Two
$37.99 | zulily
Lenox Murray Hill Butter Plate - Set of 2 - LNOX1833
$28.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™