Preserving wood in raised bed

mswiggi(5)October 29, 2012

I got for free, from work some nice 1x6 pine boards that I was thinking I would use to build some raised veggie beds. Is there anything I can do to make them last longer? Maybe a stain that is non toxic/ won't leach into the soil...if I do nothing to them any idea how long they'll last?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lgteacher(SCal)

I put a water sealant on mine, which were old boards that had been shelves in the garage. They have been used for 4 years now. Where I live, the major problem would be termites more than rot.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 7:42PM
yolos - z 7b/8a Ga.

I put pure raw lineseed oil on mine but I have only used them for 1 year so I do not know if it is worth the time. I used pine 2x10's and they are so cheap it may be easier to replace them when needed rather than use the lineseed oil. I will have to wait to see if they last longer than the one I did not put the lineseed oil on.

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 1:50PM
paws4pets

May not look pretty but you could wrap them with plastic. Just don't use the plastic for the bottom of the bed. Paint the boards a nice color and wrap with clear plastic.
Paws

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 11:46PM
japus

I used a 2 X 8 X 12 12 years ago, nothing on it to preserve it.I may get another year out of it, open on one side apparently means a lot

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 11:01PM
hidesertCA(8)

I use a product called eco-wood. it's non toxic and supposed to protect wood for a long time

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 9:13PM
More Discussions
Garlic crop rotating?
I started a bed 4'x6' last full of garlic. I was a...
disneynut1977
Cold Weather Covers
I made a cover for a 4x4 box going off the instructions...
mtnrunner
Raised kidney shaped garden
I have a kidney shaped raised garden that I have planted...
charlieboring
What should I use to fill my raised beds?
I'm going to be making some raised beds in my backyard...
hazeldazel
Sub Irrigation Planter
I've read two ways to build these. One with gravel...
tedeboy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™