Is this early blight?

firsttimegrdnrAugust 11, 2009

I have been advised that the tomato plant I am growing in a community garden has blight. I noticed spots on the leaves a week ago and pruned the worst of them a few days ago. There are still a few leaves and stems with spots, which I have taken three pictures of. A neighbor's plot has the same (or very similar) thing going on to a greater extent, so I took two pictures are of their plants as well. After reading about and looking at numerous pictures of the disease, I'm overwhelmed! Can anyone lend a hand identifying the problem with these tomato plants?

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Images

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zwaantje

I am no expert by any means. But this looks exactly like what my plants had and what is referred to here in Vermont as Blight (there is a word in front of that but I don't know which, 'Light' perhaps?)

On my plants it started with teeny tiny spots but no matter how many leaves you take off, it doesn't disappear. It seems to be a fungus that also kills potatoes.

It was quite a surprise when the blight showed up where we live. It killed all my tomato plants, and I only saved about 25, 30 tomatoes that are still green.

M~.

Bookmark   August 13, 2009 at 6:46PM
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

Remove the infected leaves and spray the plant, top and underside of the leaves, with a fungicide contain a copper compound. Yes it is blight. Through the infected leave in the garbage and at season end remove ALL of the plants and put them in garbage. Leave NO debris in the garden. Google 'tomato blight' to get more info.

Bookmark   August 20, 2009 at 8:23PM
briergardener_gw

I got blight in GH this year.
I have removed only bad leaves for now and sprayed plants.
Will see later.

Question: how it origanated? from seeds? soil? air? I did not have blight last year. I don't have it on toms outside, only in greenhouse.

Should i replace all soil in GH in winter or just spray with something?

Can anybody recoment blight resistent tomatoes for GH (for next year)?

thanks

Bookmark   August 22, 2009 at 3:46PM
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

Blight whether early or late winters over in the soil and on garden debris so do what you want. A fungicide w/ copper cmpd sprayed on/in the soil would be effective for small areas such as in the GH.

Bookmark   August 22, 2009 at 5:48PM
More Discussions
Mysterious disappearing Tomatoes
I'm in Richmond, VA (23233, if that helps). I moved...
Lorahv
tomatoes
a little green like fly is hammering my crop for the...
westy54
worst tomato plants ever
Hi I have been growing tomato plants for at least twenty...
greelygarden
Help Pls! Tomato branches falling off
Hi all - A few weeks ago I started to notice a marginal...
jhamoud
Tomato Leaves Turning Blackish
I planted my tomatoes from seeds two months ago. They...
tomatodad
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™