When is 'in the Fall?' regarding planting/transplanting?

cindylouhoo(6MidTN)June 16, 2012

I've got a few shrubs and perennials that need to be moved, and much of what I've read suggests doing it in the fall. When in the fall would that be? It's still pretty warm/hot here in late September early October.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Cindy,

In our area, most woody plants and perennials can be successfully transplanted anytime between mid-fall to early-spring. The trick is to avoid the stressful, hot summer months with plants that haven't had time to regrow their severely compromised root system. Pot-grown plants, that aren't pot-bound so as to require significant root manipulation at planting, can be safely planted pretty much anytime. Some species, especially some with fleshy roots (like pawpaws and some/most magnolias), do much better if planted in spring, rather than fall or winter. Also, marginally-hardy plants may have a better chance of survival if planted in spring. Plants like daylilies and rhizomatous iris usually do well if planted in spring or summer.

It's hard to talk about a generalized ideal planting time for a wide variety of plants because different plants have different requirements. Specifying a certain type of plant might lead to more specific and accurate recommendations.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting a Tree or Shrub

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 3:48PM
More Discussions
Spigelia Marilandica??? Anybody?
I got an email from a friend of one of our MTPS-ers...
bigorangevol
Evergreen trees with large leaves
I'm seeing them all around and wonder what they are?...
ryseryse_2004
New to Chattanooga TN
Moved here about a month ago and can't wait to garden....
poppiesandmarigolds
Help with Knockout Roses
I have lost 4 mature Knockout Roses, about 10 years...
neil64
**** Spring 2015 East Tennessee Plant Swap ****
The Spring 2015 East Tennessee Plant Swap will be held...
brandon7 TN_zone
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™