rotting plum tomatoes

iowacindy(Iowa)August 13, 2005

I have several varieties of tomatoes that are doing fine with the exception of the plum tomatoes. I can't remember what variety they are (I'm new to this). The plum tomatoes look wonderful on the outside - smooth red skin without blemishes, but they are all rotten on the inside. I tried cutting open a green one which was fine, and an orange one which had a small spot of rot, so the rotting is happening during ripening. Any ideas on what is causing this or what I can do to fix this?

Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Blossom end rot. Sometimes it doesn't show up on the exterior.

The FAQ has a good write-up.

Bookmark   August 13, 2005 at 8:48PM
ddfllyrm1(SWPA)

I recieved some Plum tomatoe plants from a friend. He says he got the seeds from an older fellow that said the seeds come from Italy. The Plums are not the same exact shaoe as those you buy from a greenhouse or grown from seed. The fruit is rather long, the biggest I have is almost 4 1/2 inches long with a point at the bottom rather than rounded. The problem I'm having is a lot of the fruit has brown spots on the bottom which as it rippens rots. He has the same problem though. He waters his frequently, I on the other hand once every three days. He says he talked to his friend and was told that it was a calcium deficientcy in the soil. I sort of thought it might have been something missing in the soil, but does calcium sound right to anyone. I'm just a part timer for the fun of it, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bookmark   August 18, 2005 at 8:16PM
jocamp1_verizon_net

MY TOMATOES ARE ROTTING FROM THE BOTTOM. I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS. IT HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE.

Bookmark   July 28, 2011 at 7:36PM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

Blossom End Rot. It happens. See the FAQ from the Tomato forum:
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/tomato/2000082444023571.html

By the way, the sprays sold for Blossom End Rot are a waste of money.

Bookmark   July 29, 2011 at 2:36AM
More Discussions
Yellow spots on leaves
Hi, I have several tomato plants that I started as...
jdftwrth
Tomato Wilt
Which Heirloom varieties are wilt resistant
oldgardenguy_zone6
Sick tomato plants
Some of my tomatoes look really sick. Is this a disease?...
JaneMacG
black spots on tomatoes
HI, As my wife and I are sitting hear having a cup...
dennyida
What is this
Is this septoria leaf spot, bacterial speck or early...
lubadub
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™