Do plant diseases die during the winter?

heirloomjunkie(5a)August 8, 2009

I think I may have some form of wilt in my tomatoes. When I cut them down this fall, will the winter kill off the disease or will it just lay dormant until I plant in the spring? I don't want to use chemicals. Can I burn the affected area?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joe-il(5)

Ya most can survive winter. Wilt maybe from too much or too little water. In fall remove and burn dead vines, deep till (like plow or double dig) area if possible. Plant very disease resistant varieties next year.

Bookmark   August 14, 2009 at 10:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

If the wilt is caused by a pathogen, then you have a long range pathogen problem. The moist common causes of wilt will persist in the soil and garden waste for up to 7 yrs. You will have to plant affected type plants in a different part of the garden next year. Pathogenic wilts are a progressive disease which will eventually affect the whole plant. Wilting caused by cultural practices will, if corrected, will disappear on new leaves. Your post did not elaborate much so you have to decide the cause. Unfortunately there is no cure for pathogenic caused wilts.

Bookmark   August 20, 2009 at 7:06PM
More Discussions
New Forum Sucks
Why is it when you have something great someone comes...
hoosier318
Tomatoes - yellow leaves and one plant starting to become droopy
Hi guys, I'm a novice gardener in Queensland and have...
tommytomatoes
Yellow spots on leaves
Hi, I have several tomato plants that I started as...
jdftwrth
No tomatoes
First time this has ever happened. My tomato plant...
patti_june
What is this
Is this septoria leaf spot, bacterial speck or early...
lubadub
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™