sugar snap snow peas

engineeredgarden(7, nw Alabama)October 15, 2008

Does anyone have any pictures of their sugar snap snow peas beginning to bloom? This is my first time growing them, and I keep looking for them, and don't even know where they will be........One of my plantings has already grown 4ft up it's trellis.

EG

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sinfonian(U8b A2 S5 SeaWA)

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but here is a closeup from spring of my snow peas growing out of a bud, with another bud right above it. I thought it was really cool!

Let me know if you wanted something else. I've got tons of pics from that time (from every time, hehe).

Bookmark   October 16, 2008 at 12:00AM
engineeredgarden(7, nw Alabama)

Thanks, Sinfonian - I went out last night with a flashlight, and saw something "new" emerging. I think it's fixin' to happen. BTW, will these tolerate frost?

EG

Bookmark   October 16, 2008 at 9:02AM
mike_in_paradise(6U 5A Cn Jun9Sep29)

I don't have a real close up..

I don't know why I did not plant any of these this year as they survive the frost extremely well.

This picture was taken after 3-4 killing frosts and the rest of the garden was long gone and tilled under.

I have also grown these very successfully in a container in the house during the winter.

Bookmark   October 16, 2008 at 10:26AM

Mike - thanks for the information - especially on the frost situation. There's no forecast for any temps below 40 degrees for the next 10 days, but I still want to be prepared for the eventual inevitable.

EG

Bookmark   October 16, 2008 at 11:01AM

I went out with a flashlight this evening, and saw lots of little buds or something developing. I'll get some good photos this coming weekend, and will post them for future reference.

EG

Bookmark   October 16, 2008 at 9:05PM

Here's the picture that I promised.

EG

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   October 19, 2008 at 10:50PM
sinfonian(U8b A2 S5 SeaWA)

Great pic EG, and yes, they tollerate light frosts. I covered mine though as I want the to grow. Mine are too small to start producing and need to grow another two feet first. hehe I think I planted late. More like they didn't germinate well.

Glad to see yours are doing well. Watch as those flowers start to slough off as a pea pod emerges from the center. It's cool to see.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

Bookmark   October 19, 2008 at 11:46PM
More Discussions
Watery soil under raised bed
Hey all, I am new to raised beds, just started construction...
jazz1234
Cold Weather Covers
I made a cover for a 4x4 box going off the instructions...
mtnrunner
Garlic crop rotating?
I started a bed 4'x6' last full of garlic. I was a...
disneynut1977
How deep does a raised bed need to be?
I'm new to SFG and was wondering if the depth of the...
pinkkpearls
Mel's Mix versus 100% Compost
Hello all, I am starting some boxes for growing. I...
bsntech
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™