Fall 07- Planning Mid TN Vegetable Garden Planting

dvowell026June 13, 2007

Well it's mid June and I've got most of my 2nd plantings for the summer season pretty much done. Like to start a thread here specifically dealing with what those who are planning a fall garden (esp in the Mid Tn area) have done, are trying etc...

I've got a combo of flat beds, rasied beds and a Rion Greenhouse. I've planted small spring gardens for years which are getting less small. Exerimenting with a couple of Mel's Mix boxes this summer. I've never planted for the fall though. I want to see and exchange ideas, as well as talk about our results later in the year. To kick things off seed starting dates (indoor and outdoor) is what I'm looking at now. Advise anyone.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hermitonthehill(7a/b)

I "need" to sow some Swiss Chard because that was one thing I didn't for the Spring - well, except for two in a pot when the seeds showed up with something else totally unrelated - I just tucked them in there. I also "need" to do other greens and lettuces that I didn't get around to when I was feeling frustrated with how Spring was "acting"... cooler weather crops essentially... but I'm still bound to be container-growing. I definitely want to do some winter-sowing this year, though that won't provide any yields until next year. As for dates... I haven't set any myself, because it's just so bloody hot and has been and I'm trying to get a better idea of how long the heat will last this year so that I don't sow too soon, ya know? But I will be back to this thread - after I've tied up some loose ends and can "think better" on this topic. I'm glad you started it - helps me to try and focus at least. :) Spring stuff has been such a bust.... I need to be able to look forward to Fall Gardening and TRY to put "the past" behind me in order to make the most of "the future" in this year...

Bookmark   June 14, 2007 at 11:10PM
More Discussions
Please ID this plant grown in Nashville, TN
Hello folks!, I brought this plant back to LA (Cali)...
lizzieroux
Amaryllis in Tennessee
Can Amaryllis stay in the ground near Nashville TN?...
ryseryse_2004
Any chicken coop experts?
We have what I thought was a well-built chicken coop....
fraziertoo
Japanese Maple Autumn Moon
I would like to know if anyone knows of a nursery in...
alan_ill
Spigelia Marilandica??? Anybody?
I got an email from a friend of one of our MTPS-ers...
bigorangevol
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™