How deep?

Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady LakeNovember 5, 2012

Most articles I read about square foot gardening involve building a raised bed over the soil in your yard. However, the neighborhood I live in does not allow for in-ground crops to be grown and they include raised beds without a bottom as being in-ground. So I am forced to add bottoms to my boxes. So far the planter boxes I am building are about 36" long, 24" wide and 15" deep. These have worked well enough for carrots, snap peas and a raspberry bush (though the raspberry bush quickly took over and out-grew its box. I had bigger boxes, but, as I have a bad back, they weren't very easy to move. Even these smaller ones tend to be fairly uncomfortable to move with my wife's help (I'm thinking of adding casters). But I have been curious as to just what depth I could get away with for most vegetables?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beacivil1(8a/8b NW Austin, Tx)

Really, it depends on what you are planting. Some have a somewhat long taproot so it would require a deeper box. Others have roots that spread out like a tree, so not so deep. My boxes are about 6in deep and I've had success with tomatoes, watermelons, lemon basil, and all kinds of peppers. When I pulled all of these after last year's summer heat here in Texas fried them, all of the roots were still running pretty shallow, even though I did not have bottoms on my boxes.

Aside from that, like you, I have a bad back (had surgery to repair a herniated disc), so I have to be careful. My sfg boxes are on the ground, but I have no restrictions. But this brought to mind an article I saw sometime recently about how a community turned an old apartment trash compactor area (cinder brick wall enclosed) into a community sf garden, with multiple waist-high boxes. The thing was that is had to be ADA compliant (wheel chair accessible). While I cannot find the article now, I did find something online that has some ideas for helping gardeners with back problems and I think I might build some of these over the winter. Please see the link below.

Bryan

Here is a link that might be useful: Painless Garden

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 10:54AM
More Discussions
Safe insecticide: Olive Oil, Dish Soap, Water
I'm going to try a safe insecticide first before going...
travelsfo
Sub Irrigation Planter
I've read two ways to build these. One with gravel...
tedeboy
Lateral space for dripline irrigation in square foot garden?
Hello! I'm pretty new to square foot gardening and...
poppenschmaltz
Onion spacing- 16/sq ft vs. Dixondale recommendation
Dixondale farms suggests 4" between onions, and...
mmqchdygg
I'd like to try SFG like this....(see pic)
I'd like to try SFG in a 55 gallon drum like the one...
farmless_barn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™