Question about cantaloupe/squash problem

bookworm226(7)June 15, 2008

I was wondering if anyone can help me discover what is happening to my cantaloupe, zucchini, and squash plants this year. I had this same problem last year but I thought that is was caused by varying amounts of water due to the drought here. But when the problem came up again this year, I started scratching my head!

I planted my cantaloupe plants out about a month ago. They have grown great and are putting on all kinds of runners and blooms. Suddenly one of the plants entirely wilted. I have a thin layer of mulch around them and when I pulled this back I looked at the stem and noticed that it was really woody in texture and very pliable. Nothing had eaten it to my knowledge and it didn't really look like bugs or worms had gotten to it. So far, 2 plants out of 50 have done that. It really bothers me because I never know when another one will go. My yellow crookneck squash and my zucchini have also had this problem. My zucchini was producing perfectly until I went out one morning and saw half of them wilted.

I hope someone can help me out with this problem. Any suggestions about what causes it and what I can do about it? Thanks so much

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I'd bet on squash vine borers (Melittia cucurbitae). They are very common, and the damage they do is often hard to recognize until the infestation gets serious. The pictures on the web of the damage they do are usually extreme cases. More commonly, the results are exactly as you describe above.

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 2:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
april_h_o(Z6 Nashville)

Yeah, I second Brandon's comment. Check for small holes in the stem near the base of the wilted stem, with bits of what looks like sawdust coming out of the hole. That is the interior plant material which the little villains have eaten and pooped out.

We've had a bit of success splitting the stem, digging the borers out, and then burying the damanged portion of the stem in a mound of soil. This keeps the whole thing from dying, and they will usually bounce back, but often you'll get multiple infestations. It depends on where you are, I guess, but Chip and I have basically given up on any members of the cucurbit family, with the except of watermelons (which they don't seem to like as much as squash and cucumber).

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 4:42PM
More Discussions
Williamson County Master Gardener Plant Sale and Garden Expo
Williamson County Master Gardner Association Invites...
bbhillarts
Dixon Garden Faire - Memphis, TN April 24-25, 2015
Plan to attend the gardening event of the spring season!...
ckb66404
vegetables/herbs in Tennessee
What are you planting now? What have you already...
ryseryse_2004
Project for Community Center
I just recently became aware of an opportunity to help...
forthechildren
Memphis Area Master Gardeners Spring Fling 2015
Memphis Area Master Gardeners Kick-Off the 2015 Gardening...
barbcull
Sponsored Products
Americh Bel Air 6642 Tub (66" x 42" x 22")
Modern Bathroom
Afina Vanderbilt Large Triple Door Surface Mount Baroque Medicine Cabinet - 51W
Hayneedle
AICO Furniture - Bella Cera Sideboard - 38007-45
Great Furniture Deal
Americh Rampart II 7242 Tub (72" x 42" x 26")
Modern Bathroom
Americh Wright 6032 Tub (60" x 32" x 22")
Modern Bathroom
Possini Euro Wrapped Wire 47 3/4" Wide Bathroom Light
Euro Style Lighting
Laurey Triple Magnetic Catch - Set of 4 - STRI312
$11.99 | Hayneedle
AICO Furniture - Victoria Palace Chair and a Half - Grp1/Opt1-...
Great Furniture Deal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™