Tomato Plant Problem

emersonsf(9)September 2, 2007

Can someone please tell me what to do about this tomato plant problem. I have several small tomatoes but the leaves are beginning to curl.

http://home.comcast.net/~emersonsf/IMG_1774.JPG

Thanks for your help

emersonsf

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Is this plant in a container? Is it indoors? Has it possibly been exposed to a herbicide of any kind? Perhaps drift from a neighbors spray?

Tomato leaf roll (where the leaves roll up from side to side) is a physiological problem for plants that are stressed from some problem growing condition. It usually requires no treatment. It resolves itself.

But these leaves are curling backwards from what I can see (photo is blurry) and that is almost always a result of herbicide exposure.

If no chance of that and it is a container plant, how big is the container? The only other possible explanation I know of is that the container is too small and the plant is rootbound.

More info please. ;)

Dave

Bookmark   September 2, 2007 at 6:53PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Just thought of something - check the undersides of the leaves for aphids. It is a possibility.

Dave

Bookmark   September 2, 2007 at 7:07PM
emersonsf(9)

Thanks for answering. I only have one plant and it is in a 10 gallon container. It has been planted about 6 weeks and is inside the swimming pool screen. I have not used any pesticides or herbicides. I have been watering it a little each day. Thanks for your help
emersonsf

Bookmark   September 2, 2007 at 7:15PM
emersonsf(9)

I forgot about the aphids. Did not see any.

Bookmark   September 2, 2007 at 7:21PM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Looks like drift from weed killer to me. If not from your side of the fence, perhaps from next door?

Bookmark   September 2, 2007 at 11:56PM
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

If you don't believe it is possible that the damage was from drift of a weed killer, then think about the plant's proximity to your swimming pool.

Is your pool maintained by a pool service company? If so, do they use any sort of product in a gas form? If so, the gas may be drifting onto your plant and causing the leaf rolling problems. I am thinking specifically of chlorine gas. Sometimes, though, the improper combination of other pool chemicals can cause a chemical reaction and release fumes that damage plants too.

Dawn

Bookmark   September 12, 2007 at 7:32PM
More Discussions
tomatoes
a little green like fly is hammering my crop for the...
westy54
Tomato Leaf curl
I'm having problems with my Beefsteak tomatoes. The...
DoctorAche
Yellow spots on leaves
Hi, I have several tomato plants that I started as...
jdftwrth
Droopy Tomato leaves
Hi, I have noticed that my tomato leaves have started...
bopwinter
Tomatoes - yellow leaves and one plant starting to become droopy
Hi guys, I'm a novice gardener in Queensland and have...
tommytomatoes
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™