What's Eating My Tomatoes?

lizzygracepond(7)September 9, 2012

I have tomatoes that are rotting on the vine when getting ripe. I assume is from some sort of hornworm or pickleworm since some of the holes are very tiny. Any opinions are welcome!!! I also have an infestation of caterpillers on my polebeans which I sprayed for a few days ago. I went out to pick, and ended up picking half eaten tomatoes and rotten ones off the vine. Ahh, if it isn't the heat, the early blight, the powdery mildew, the whiteflys, the the... Now, I finally get tomatoes ripening, and they are all going to mush... I don't see any critter claw holes in these tomatoes which leads me to think it is from a worm, but?? Yes, I see poops from the worms, but not sure if it is from the caterpillers or tomato hornworm which I can't find. I did leave a baldface hornets next alone in my yard in hopes it would eat these things, but, I guess they aren't interested!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lizzygracepond(7)

here is a pict of the caterpiller eating my polebeans (and fall garden)..

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 2:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lizzygracepond(7)

I think i answered my own question, has to be chipmunks,squiirels or critter of some sort. I bet my rotting is from the tomato pinworm. But that caterpiller, die die die!

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 3:53PM
More Discussions
What is this?
Hi! I am brand new at growing tomatoes and just bought...
ItsMeET
Tomato Leaf curl
I'm having problems with my Beefsteak tomatoes. The...
DoctorAche
Help Pls! Tomato branches falling off
Hi all - A few weeks ago I started to notice a marginal...
jhamoud
Tomatoes - yellow leaves and one plant starting to become droopy
Hi guys, I'm a novice gardener in Queensland and have...
tommytomatoes
Can you identify what's happening to my Celebrity Tomato?
Just planted my celebrity tomato into a raised garden....
sabinre
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™