Yellow Leaf Curl Prevention?

matersammichNovember 2, 2011

I'm just south of Miami. I haven't been on the forum for a long time, because I tried to grow tomatoes, and yellow leaf curl virus made it impossible. I am thinking of trying again, and I am wondering: are there any new tricks to make it work? I was thinking it might be possible to grow them in a miniature greenhouse on a concrete patio, but I don't want to waste the time and money if it doesn't work.

I know it's possible to buy resistant varieties, but if I can't grow something special, I figure I might as well go to the store.

Other people down here manage to grow tomatoes. I can't figure it out. It has occurred to me that it may be a local problem, so I have been treating the rest of my yard to kill the unbelievable hordes of whiteflies we have here. Maybe I just need a bug-free buffer zone so the plants won't be attacked as soon as I set them out.

This state is a bug, fungus, and disease magnet. We seem to get something new every year. Currently it's the gumbo limbo whitefly! I have to treat a tree which used to be considered impossible to get rid of. And then there's the spiral whitefly, and the one that kills ficus trees...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Perhaps contact your county's Extension Service office to determine how to successfully grow tomatoes where you live in spite of the nasty bugs.

If you need assistance locating your county's office,use this map from the USDA
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

Here is a link that might be useful: locate your county's Extension Service office

Bookmark   November 15, 2011 at 11:55PM
More Discussions
Can you identify what's happening to my Celebrity Tomato?
Just planted my celebrity tomato into a raised garden....
sabinre
tomatoes
a little green like fly is hammering my crop for the...
westy54
Droopy Tomato leaves
Hi, I have noticed that my tomato leaves have started...
bopwinter
Tomato Pests & Diseases
Home-grown tomatoes are a source of pride, a thing...
priyaspageo
Help Identify my Uncle's Tomato pest
Hi all, I'm writing in behalf of my uncle who is not...
greengorilla2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™