lots of questions - new in tn

golfngardennut(8 NW of San Antonio)July 2, 2009

I just moved here this weekend, and had to leave my garden behind... yesterday I went and bought some nice looking tomatoes and peppers, I was wondering what I can expect for quantity this year (I know it is the end of the season so to speak)? Also, is there a book that anyone can recommend that tells me what to plant and do month by month here? Finally (for now) I am looking for a large quantity of compost to put in my garden - I live in Ripley, can anyone tell me where to get it? Thanks, all...

Pat

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Welcome Pat!

Here's a link to the UT Ag Extension's publications. Click on "Gardening", look for the "Vegetables" section, and then take a look at "Growing Vegetables in Home Gardens". That publications has a ton of info including planting times for spring-planted cool-season vegetables, warm-season vegetables, and fall vegetables.

I don't have any idea about getting compost in Ripley. Your post was the first time I had ever heard of the place. But I looked it up on Google Maps.

Here is a link that might be useful: UT Ag Extension Publications

Bookmark   July 2, 2009 at 3:59PM
palmetto_gardener(6b)

Welcome to Tennessee. I'm not close to Ripley. You might try looking up your county name in phone book and UT Extension Service will probably be listed under it. Call the number and your county UT extension service office may be able to help you with local questions.

Bookmark   July 2, 2009 at 11:24PM
rockguy(7a)

Ripley might be in zone 7, so you can say you will have good growing weather til at least the middle of October, I think. That's a good 90 days, more or less, so cucumber or beans can still be planted, squash too or sweet corn.

Bookmark   July 4, 2009 at 7:43AM
golfngardennut(8 NW of San Antonio)

Thanks to everyone for their replies - Brandon, thank you for the reference, it is awesome and exactly what I was looking for.

Bookmark   July 5, 2009 at 11:56PM
More Discussions
Japanese Maple Autumn Moon
I would like to know if anyone knows of a nursery in...
alan_ill
New to Knoxville
I'm new to Knoxville TN and new to gardening in general....
freshvegetables
Thin Tall Evergreen?
Hi all, I'm a new gardener living in TN. I'm looking...
linkjg
The early daffodils - ID?
Yesterday when driving around Blount County, I noticed...
RedBird_TN
A couple of palms almost grew in Knoxville
This past year, a new Holiday Inn appeared on Papermill...
anntn6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™