how to stop pests eating my leaves?

peacelovinglilyNovember 17, 2009

a)

b)

a) and b) I think I know what's been eating them - I discovered this little green grub caterpillar- like thing on a leaf for both plants, and scraped it off. But HOW can one tiny little grub do so much damage...And I've only found one so far; are there likely to be more? Where do they come from?

Could someone advise on how to treat the leaves and prevent this happening again? What are the consequences of leaving them there?

*panicking*

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cyrilg

Yes I get this problem just about every gardening year. If your problem (and very well maybe) is the same as mine you probably have hornworms visiting your garden patch.
They can do a lot of damage in a short period of time if not controlled. One of the best web sites I discovered that helped me with this problem is garden-planting-tips.com they have lots of information on gardening. One of my fav sites to visit.

Here is the link if your interested to take a look.

Oh yes! If you go to their web site I believe they have a link called garden pest to read about hornworms.

Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: garden planting tips

Bookmark   November 20, 2009 at 1:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
matey2

You may have 'tobacco hornworms' (Manduca quinquemaculata - a sphingid moth) or 'tomato loopers' (Chrysodeixis chalcites - a noctuid moth). To the amateur, both are green, but have different sizes, markings and body features. Bacillus thuringeiensis sprays are safe and effective. New Spinosad treatments (e.g. 'Conserve SC', 'Entrust', ' Naturalyte', 'Monterey Garden Insect Spray' and 'Borer, Bagworm, Tent Caterpillar & Leafminer Spray') are probably effective and very safe, but you'd need to check the label. There are also registered chemical treatments, such as elemental sulphur (400 g/kg) + Cu as oxychloride (40 g/kg) + carbaryl (20 g/kg), or sprays of cyfluthrin, or pyrethrins, or fenthion. Just follow the label instructions for your Country, State or area. Then there are some generalist fungal control agents (e.g. Metarhizium spp. and Beauveria bassiana), but I'm not sure if they are commercially available to gardeners. Baculovirus agents against loopers are under experimental investigation. Good luck!

Bookmark   January 3, 2010 at 11:42PM
More Discussions
Tomato Wilt
Which Heirloom varieties are wilt resistant
oldgardenguy_zone6
P.Brandywine bumpy soft ,green curling leaves
Firstly, I'm a raw newbie. Please forgive any faux...
sproutling
Indoor tomatoes in trouble, help iD
Hi guys! Could you please tell me what you think the...
Mikhail Evtushenko
What is this?
What is causing this on my tomatoes? Pests? Bugs?
kyleindebary
Spots on tomato rootstock seedlings!!
Does anyone know what this is? I planted Maxifort and...
miggyl
Sponsored Products
Cross Handle Angle Stop - 1/2" IPS X 3/8" OD Compression
Signature Hardware
Mercer Olde Silver Six Light Hand Cut Crystal Bath Fixture
$500.00 | Bellacor
Stanford Spectrum Mirror with 21.5 inch TV
Lightology
Botanical Garden Living Wreath
$99.99 | Dot & Bo
Area Rug: Caprice Collection Multi 8' x 10'
Home Depot