Mulching strawberries

ladybug37091(z7 Tennessee)July 4, 2009

I have been fighting yet another dry summer here in Lewisburg. I absolutely love my everbearing strawberries but they are not in love with this dry weather. Since pine needles are so dang expensive I went with shredded pine as mulch. Has anyone out there ever mulched their strawberries with shredded pine? If so are you happy with the results? I hope I have not been out there killing myself for nothing. Rhonda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dvtown(6b)

I haven't mulched mine yet although I really should. Straw works well. I don't know any reason why pine bark mulch wouldn't work.

Bookmark   July 5, 2009 at 8:24PM
ladybug37091(z7 Tennessee)

Thanks. Anything has to beat the carpet of crabgrass that was there. lol

Bookmark   July 6, 2009 at 9:10AM
jengc(7)

I have two types of strawberries. One that I bought at Home Depot for $5 (the ones that comes with roots in a bag) and some in at container, 4 to a container at Lowes, late in the season for $5 for two (buy one get one free). The Lowes strawberries came with berries on it already if that tells ya something. Anyway, the strawberries that I started from roots are growing just wonderfully. Busy, making runners, making strawberries. The Lowes ones look like they are dying. I am hoping they are just done for the season and going into hibernation. I am going to believe that anyway lol.

Anyway, I havent mulched them....yet. I have some pine mulch from a neighbor that cut down his pine tree and had it chipped up. He was nice enough to share. So I guess I will use that. :)

By the way, where in TN are you that it is dry? I am dying from Humidity! (Nashville here)

Here is a link that might be useful: Jen's Victory Garden Blog

Bookmark   July 6, 2009 at 5:00PM
bigorangevol(Nashville)

Rhonda we always just used straw but Dad had a 1/2 acre in berries and we'd never heard of "mulch" in the 60's & 70's. :-)

That mulch is just going to suck the nitrogen right out of your soil for its own decomposition isn't it?

Bookmark   July 7, 2009 at 10:14AM
ladybug37091(z7 Tennessee)

I thought about that, Jeff. Time will tell as it is supposed to add acidity. I am still wanting June bearers but for everbearers these are so sweet. I really do not have the time for all the crap I attempt to do so a mulch of some sort is a must. Well it is worth the experiment. If they do not do well, straw it is.

Bookmark   July 7, 2009 at 5:40PM
More Discussions
groundcovers in SW Tennessee
I had lots of Lamium, creeping Thyme, mints in Illinois...
ryseryse_2004
A couple of palms almost grew in Knoxville
This past year, a new Holiday Inn appeared on Papermill...
anntn6b
Pollinator habitat
I live in Virginia, but I am installing a pollinator...
Nell
New Gardener Looking for Help :D
Hey guys, I'm just an average teenager looking to get...
GardenerLee
questions from new TN gardener
I'm not a new gardener but new Z7, southwest TN. Will...
ryseryse_2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™