Brussel Sprouts spacing and time

appmyNovember 26, 2007

I had some success this year with my first SFG. I am already working on a plan for next year. My question today is about your experiences with brussel sprouts. I read on is forum that 1 per is the right spacing. Do they really fill out that large? What should I plant around them?

When should I start seeds, what type, and when should I transplant them.

I am new to brussel sprouts, but had them on Thanksgiving in a roasted form. I would like to grow my own.

Here is a link that might be useful: Follow my progress at my SFG blog

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
justaguy2(5)

Brussels are a long season crop. Check the listed days to maturity for the variety you want to grow. 90-150 days is typical with 90 being perfect conditions and an early variety. Never count on it. Always figure they will take longer as they often do.

Yes, they will fill a complete square. Many varieties in a good year will be very crowded when planted one to a square.

Typically I plant Brussels in the summer and harvest in the fall/early winter (I still have some in the garden and I am in Wisconsin). You can just direct seed them, no value in transplanting them since the summer soil is plenty warm.

The reason to summer plant and fall/winter harvest is that brussels produce sugars as antifreeze to protect against the cold. They don't do this until the cold temps set in. This makes them much sweeter.

Also, if you are getting toward the end of summer and you aren't seeing much in the way of sprouts forming, chop off the top of the plant. This focuses on sprout formation and ends vegetative growth.

Bookmark   November 27, 2007 at 8:44PM
More Discussions
Vermiculite Source List - Throughout USA
I had a hard time finding vermiculite, so I have compiled...
angela12345
Looking for bloggers
I am looking for folk interested in writing about square...
Andrew_Green
Weed Barrier
I was excited to find this forum. I started dabbling...
mtnrunner
What to put in the bottom of 12" high boxes??
Hello all, I am doing my first SFG this year. I live...
Deck Pros
Raised kidney shaped garden
I have a kidney shaped raised garden that I have planted...
charlieboring
Sponsored Products
Scape Dining Side Chair in Clear
$109.00 | LexMod
Gazebo Stripe Grommet Top 96 inch Indoor/ Outdoor Curtain Panel
Overstock.com
Chintaly Finnigan Modern Glass Computer Desk Multicolor - CTY1170
$268.84 | Hayneedle
Steve Silver Tampa 3 Piece Glass Top Coffee Table Set [Set of 3]
Beyond Stores
Savoy House Alita Traditional Outdoor Wall Light
1800Lighting