How to rescue a rosemary topiary

jean(Zone 7/TN)January 14, 2002

I have just rescued a Tuscan Blue Rosemary topiary from a nursery where it was on clearance. It is about 16 inches high and is trimmed in a spherical shape. Several branches on one side have dried out and have lost their needles, but the remainder is green with some new growth. Beneath the plant are many dry needles, suggesting that it may have been dried out for some time. The topiary is currently beside (too tall to be placed under) a grow light in a 68 degree apartment. The light is left on 16 hours, supplementing the filtered southwestern light in the room.

I would appreciate please advice as to re-hydrating this rosemary and fortifying it before it is placed outdoors. It is said to be "hardy to -10 to 0 degrees F." When would it be best to set it outdoors on my deck?

Many thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jackiew(z5OH)

Since it has been inside for an indeterminate amount of time, consider it to be like any other plant which needs hardening off before planting out. On days which are above 40 degrees Farenheit, you may set it outside under partial or filtered sun. Gradually, increase the amount of sun to full sun, this will allow it to get all the sun it likes without burning it until it adjusts. Do not leave out yet when the temps. dip below 40. Eventually, especially if the pot is sunk into the ground, it will be able to stand the lower range temperatures, but this is not a bonsai, and was not meant to be left out to go dormant over the winter. It will appreciate the chill and shortened day lengths in the fall, and will reward you with flowers if you allow it to leave it's strictly sheared boundaries.

Bookmark   January 14, 2002 at 12:55PM
More Discussions
New to topiary, requesting some tips/info.
Hello, I am going to start growing my first topiary...
RainGarden
buying topiary
My sister-in-law purchased live topiary (rosemary,...
Smkwp
Topiary Buxus & Lonicera
I have a 25cm tall buxus in a pot which is about 3...
mudge
Pittosphorum needs reshaping
Hi, have around 15-20 of them, but some of them are...
nicinus
New to topiary
I'm interested in growing a topiary for a school project....
sam0
Sponsored Products
Progress Lighting Outdoor Lighting. Greenridge LED Outdoor Antique Bronze Post L
$36.45 | Home Depot
Celie Single-Hole Kitchen Faucet with Swivel Spout
Signature Hardware
Chrysanthe Outdoor Planter
Overstock.com
Contemporary Laser-cut Pattern Black Drum Fabric Shade Home Pendant
ParrotUncle
Daytona 71" Double Bathroom Vanity Set by Wyndham Collection - Cherry w/ Drawers
Modern Bathroom
Flora Antique Bronze 12 1/2" High Solar LED Post Mount
$89.00 | Lamps Plus
Peacock Bursts Runner 2'3" x 8'
$339.00 | Horchow
Cylindrical Frosted Glass Pendant Chandelier
Euro Style Lighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™