I have a question about pot size for topiary

fnboyd(z8 AL)January 29, 2008

I usually hang out in the cottage garden forum but I need help with a topiary question. I would like to plant two urns to go by my front door with cone shaped boxwood. What type of boxwood would you recommend and how large should the urn be in regard to the boxwood? Will I need to remove the boxwood after a few years and plant in the ground or will the size of the urn determine how large the plant will get?

I am in zone 8 and the urns will be facing west.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

faye in Bama

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
julieiwuc

I have a couple of homemade cone shaped boxwood topiaries in pots on my front porch. I'm not an expert but I used Buxus japonicus, the Japanese boxwood that is common here in So. Calif. The plants should almost, but not quite fill the pots. If the pot is 15 in. across at the top and you put a 5 gal. plant in it, you have a few inches all around for it to grow. Make sure the 'urn' you mention has good drainage. I used two cement urn, about 12 inches. across, and planted two spiral topiaries in them. They were expensive plants. They died in those urns. You can keep them in the pots for years. Once they are root bound, though you should do root pruning and put them back in the same pots.

Bookmark   February 13, 2008 at 8:58PM
More Discussions
Where to find topiary forms
Does anyone know where to purchase wreath frames and...
Linda3527
Make some of your own topiary frames
I am a newbie to topiary... and I am sure my ideas...
caroles_jungle
Boulevard Cypress-What will it do?
Hi all! I've just planted a Boulevard Cypress Poodle...
angieebert
buying topiary
My sister-in-law purchased live topiary (rosemary,...
Smkwp
Where to buy Topiary Frame
This is my first post to this forum, although I've...
CranburyGardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™