Tomatoes Best for Greenhouse

HillSeeker(3B)February 5, 2013

I'm interested in coloured tomatoes that would be best to grow in a pretty warm greenhouse. I prefer roma and like sweet million red but not aware if there are colored ones similar.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Take a look at this discussion from over on the Greenhouse forum. Great pics and should be right up your alley zone wise - or close anyway - if you have a good way of cooling when needed.

In my zone it wouldn't work as it gets way to hot in there after about mid-May but it should work for you.

Personally I'd limit it to determinate and bush varieties just so the size can be controlled. Perhaps New Big Dwarf, Cobra, Tropic just for suggestion.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: My Riga greenhouse pics discussion

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 3:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barrie2m_

You'll find that greenhouse growers are split between Determinate type and Indeterminite type plants. Personally I only stick with INDT varieties in my structures using the frame and stringlines as a support; I love it. For field grown tomatoes I use Det. varieties and 2' cylindrical cages.

As an answer to your question you can grow anything better in a greenhouse, hybrids and heirlooms. But for a good base tomato you should go with a proven "Workhorse" variety. I always grow Trust & Big Beef and for cherry types Favorita is exceptional. I've tried Rebelski last year and was impressed and this year I'm trying a few Caimen plants. I've been less impressed with Massada, Petenza, Geronimo and Caruso but others have liked them.

What I would suggest is that you look for a variety with Leaf Mold resistance and if any other foliar diseases appear then you can adjust your varieties another year. I've not had Late Blight problems inside my structures even when field grown plants had issues. For field grown Det. varieties I predominately plant LB resistant varieties.

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 12:39PM
More Discussions
Georges chocolate tomato?
Anyone heard of Georges chocolate tomato?
skyblue52
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
which tomato seeds to get?
Live in zone 9b (about 60 miles North of Galveston...
new-beginning
Are You Germinating Yet ?
Now that you've got all the seeds and have decided...
seysonn
How many cherry tomatoes can I put in one 10 gallon pot?
Can I grow 3 or 4 plants together? It's to save me...
shijitake
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™