Saving Heirloom Tomato seeds

Gertrude1(6)February 5, 2014

I've read that if you want to save heirloom tomato seeds you must plant specific tomatoes ten feet away from other specific tomatoes. An example would be planting Cherokee Purple ten feet from Black cherry. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this is a good rule of thumb.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

Gertrude, the link below is from the FAQ's at the top of this first page and I think it's an excellent discussion and should answer most of your questions.

How pure you want your seeds and for what purpose, home use, sharing with others, trading, which I don't do, listing with SSE, are situations only you can decide.

You'll see in the article that saving seeds by distance is not used by many.

Please read the section on when insects do their pollinating, since in some areas they are most active early in the season, in other areas late in the season. I saved seeds only from ripe fruits late in the season since insect activity where lived was early so the earliest of ripe fruits were more apt to have some X pollinated seed..

I can give you another link from SESE ( Southern Explosure Seed Exchange), written by Dr. Jeff McCormack, which is much more detailed on X pollination or you can Google SESE yourself..

So first, decide what you're going to do with the seeds and then either leave them alone, which I do since my crossing rate where I live is only about 5% meaning that of seed saved from 100 varieties about 5 will have some fruits that might be be cross pollinated.

And that's because, as also discussed in the link, most of the time blossoms are pollinated before they ever open up.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn, who also notes there are some other excellent articles in the FAQ section.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cross Pollination

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 9:54AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

As explained, the crossing is so minimal that most of us don't worry about it. If you want 100% guaranteed pure then just bag some of the blooms and save those seeds as explained in the link Carolyn provided.

Dave

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 10:44AM
More Discussions
Even when you do everything right
Started an entire flat of various tomato seeds: sterilized...
grow_life
and now for a quick chortle ...
damn its cold. got another five inches 'o snow …....
bragu_DSM 5
Supermarket Tomato Plants
I planted a few seeds from Supermarket tomatoes because...
garf_gw
topping off tomato plants?
My heirloom tomato plants are usually tall and robust...
blaferby
Window sill instead of grow light?
My grow light is broken. I have lots of room at a...
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™