Is bat guano or seabird guano good for tomatoes?

ameera(z11 Dubai)February 18, 2012

I bought some bat guano (NPK 3-10-1) and Seabird guano (NPK 1-10-0) to grow flowers in the summer here because I read that they do not heat up and burn plants.

I am wondering if either of these would be suitable for growing tomatoes.

Is there a specific time either of these would be perfect for fertilizing tomatoes? Or is there something I should mix with either of these to make a better fertilizer for the tomatoes?

The instructions say I can either sprinkle the guano around the plant or mix with water and water the plants.

I am already using an organic pelleted slow-release fertilizer with NPK ratio of 9-4.5-8.5, and also a liquid seaweed fertilizer as well.

I have two tomato plants that are already flowering and forming tomatoes (I think they are determinate types as they didn't get very tall--these were grown from seed that my mother-in-law got from store-bought tomatoes) and one seedling that was transplanted into its final pot 4 days ago (an Orange Minsk variety), so that one is still small, about 7 inches tall

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

Yes, guano is an excellent organic fertilizer for use in a garden. Like other organics, it releases nutrients slowly. So you should add it now and expect results later in the season. Since it is not balanced, be sure to continue using your organic fertilizer, which sounds good.

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 12:41PM
rnewste(8b NorCal)

I am going to run some trials using it this Season in SWC containers.

Funny, but my two test bags from Roots Organic Corp. have an NPK of 9-0-0, and 15-0-0. I guess bats have a different "diet" depending on where in the World the guano is harvested.

I will be dispersing 1/2 Cup of it into 3 cubic feet of Potting Mix, along with the Dolomite Lime and fertilizer strip (2 Cups Tomato-tone).

Raybo

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 1:20PM
suncitylinda

Raybo - I'm surprised you are only using 2 cups of organic fert. EB recommends 3 if using organic and some of the members suggest using more if the numbers are low, as it seems to me they are in tomato tone. PS: 3 more Brandywine from Croatia babys have just come into the world...... LInda (AKA Proud Mama!)

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 5:01PM
rnewste(8b NorCal)

Hi Linda,

Glad to hear the B.f.C. are up and growing!!!

I am actually using a 50/50% blend of the Old Tomato-tone, with the New Tomato-tone. So, it is a bit more potent rather than just using 100% of the organic New Tomato-tone.

In addition to the Tomato-tone, I will supplement with Grow Big and Tiger Bloom ferts during the Season.

Now getting the EarthTainers prepared for plant-out March 1 this year. Been a VERY warm Winter here - in the 70's for the next 10 days.

Raybo

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 8:29PM
suncitylinda

Thanks Ray, I thought that was the case. I supplement also but I am going to use at least 1 cup organic mixed in and two cups in the strip. I may use more since the Garden Tone I have is something like 3s and 4s for everything. Cant remember if its 4-3-3 or vice versa. Going to be a great week here too, in the 80s!!! I planted out early March last year but we all had such bad spring storms I am planning on late March thru April staggered plant out. Probably will plant a Moskvitch and maybe SunGold earlier. LInda

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 10:14PM
More Discussions
The Color Of Tomato
Do you remember the movie called The Color Of Money...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Your 2015 Choices - Fianl Answer !
Have You made up your mind yet, to answer this million...
seysonn
Need Help with Hydroponic Tomatoes
I started growing tomatoes hydroponically indoors using...
hawkeyext
Pruning lower tomato branches
When the seedlings are established - we prune the lower...
hudson___wy
How Is The Weather ..1- 2015
Spring has arrived early here. The temperatures are...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Sponsored Products
Pop Scented Candle
$38.00 | Horchow
Wizard of Oz 'Good Witch Bad Witch' Morphing Mug
$17.99 | zulily
White Crystal Flowers Living Room Pendant Ceiling Lighting
ParrotUncle
Desert Ikat Giclee Shade Arc Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
GG Collection Twisted Metal Measuring Spoons
Classic Hostess