anybody else having major bug problems?

novice_2009(zone 6b)July 23, 2010

I've got bugs this year like you wouldn't believe!!!

I live in Maury County, and as you all know it's been a bad weather year...but seriously, I can't believe it.

Just to list a few ( that I can identify) :

cuke beetles(striped and spotted)

leafhoppers, caterpillars (all kinds), big black ants, squash bugs, blister beetles,

stinkbugs( I think)

grasshoppers

and these are just the ones I've seen and can identify!

And it's not just a few, it's a LOT of them.

I'm an organic gardener, so this poses a problem.

Anybody else having a bad bug year?

If so, what pests?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tlfox(7b-8a)

I have had visitors in my pond eating my water lillies...grrr. They are the biggest black looking caterpillars I have ever seen. Other than that - the wasps, ladybugs, spiders and birds have done a good job keeping the bad critters at bay. But my poor water lillies...they are a sad sad case. :(

Bookmark   July 23, 2010 at 10:34PM
dvtown(6b)

I've had squash bug issues. They took out my squash plants then moved on. I just replanted some more summer squash so hopefully I can get a better crop. Cucumber beetles also spread the wilt on my cukes. Time to replant again!

Bookmark   July 24, 2010 at 11:58AM
novice_2009(zone 6b)

I had the seeds to plant fall crop of greens, I dont' think I will with the major bug problems this year. I'll save row covers for spring. Caterpillars destroyed calendula seedlings, and have been isssue on other plants as well.
I think I'll remove everything from veggie garden, till( if I can borrow one) or double dig. Then I'll keep garden free of all weeds, leaf debris, etc. Keep grass mowed...and pray.
Just this morning, found a new bug in flower/herb garden: some kinda worms in webs at the flowering ends of my applemint...there goes my mint tea..yuck.
Do yo all use insecticides?
I think I musta put up a sign in my yard that said: organic gardener : every bug that exists welcome!!!!

Bookmark   July 25, 2010 at 7:49PM
kbeuerlein

I would say definitely the bugs are wild this year. Aphids, whiteflies, leafhoppers, grasshoppers, wasps and ants are all thick. And I've seen three bugs I've never encountered in my life, including this one today:

Here is a link that might be useful: Giant Ichneumon Wasp

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 3:37PM
rosiew(8 GA)

antonia, thank you much for posting the pics and info on the Giant Ichneumon Wasp. Fascinating. Will be sharing with my 'little friends' who I've tried to educate about all the beneficials in the garden.

Bookmark   July 30, 2010 at 6:37AM
paperart

Other than Japenese beatles, it's not been too bad here. I actually found a eco- friendly spray that killed those on contact so I didn't have to spray the whole plant and endanger my polinators. i wrote a blog post today about what I did to get rid of squash borers - it worked. I also grew all veggies in containers and I believe that helped with bug problems. Link to that post below.

Here is a link that might be useful: growing in containers

Bookmark   July 31, 2010 at 1:29PM
More Discussions
plants to give away.
I live in Ringgold, GA near Chattanooga. I have some...
mrlynn
Composting Leaves
I have a huge pile of leaves, trying to speed up composting...
maternut
Williamson County Master Gardener Plant Sale and Garden Expo
Williamson County Master Gardner Association Invites...
bbhillarts
Is this fungus?
Please take a look at the pictures. There is something...
rhaynes
groundcovers in SW Tennessee
I had lots of Lamium, creeping Thyme, mints in Illinois...
ryseryse_2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™