Plant Choices for Topiary Frame

llm918(z5PA)March 13, 2004

I'm looking for something to plant outside of a topiary frame. The topiary would be set in a mainly sunny area.

I am looking for something with a small dark green leaf, and if it gets flowers that would be OK, but I prefer small flowers - but not yellow. I know I can use Ivy, but I know from experience that many types of Ivy can be invasive. And if I do use Ivy, I would prefer something that would stay tight against the form and that won't grow too wild looking thus hiding the form that I've attempted to create. I'd like to put the form in place and grow the plants in the ground at the base. I've considered Morning Glory for this, but if anyone could offer me any different options I'd really appreciate your help.

Thank you. LLM

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tikiangi(z8 portland,or)

If you are worried that ivy is invasive, forget the morning glory. It is very very invasive. If you bump into it, it sprays seeds and then you will be overrun.
Try a passion flower vine or clematis. Or even honey suckle would be nice, and fill in with a slower groweing plant for variety. Lucifer's blood or lucifer vine is very pretty with feathry light green foliage and bright red blooms on the ends. It is a great hanging plant.
I have used an ivy that was a sweetheart variety that grew very slowly.

Bookmark   March 15, 2004 at 6:08PM
More Discussions
Keeping Rosemary Topiary Alive
I just bought an absoluteley gorgeous double ball rosemary...
ralston6000
Ficus Topoairy very Unwell
Hi all, new to the site. Im the opposite to a green...
REVersailles
Braiding hibiscus...potting soil? Winterizing indoors or out
I have three small hibiscus startings...wishing to...
cadillactaste
Where to buy Topiary Frame
This is my first post to this forum, although I've...
CranburyGardener
New to topiary, requesting some tips/info.
Hello, I am going to start growing my first topiary...
RainGarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™