Score one for the good guys.

anntn6b(z6b TN)July 1, 2011

The good guys being me and my neighbors.

Under the catagory 'never underestimate the stupidity of your neighbors', I'll report that a new neighbor about two miles upwind was carefully weedwhacking his front yard, taking down red hot poker plants and iris leaves and very carefully leaving every thistle.

Well, somebody whacked his thistles, just before the seeds let loose.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Sounds like a risky operation compared to the payoff, but maybe it was worth it just for the satisfaction. (-:

Bookmark   July 4, 2011 at 2:31AM
ccmarks(Nashville, TN)

Sounds like guerilla gardening at it's finest!! Nice work, well at least tell those good guys nice work (tee hee!)

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 8:03PM
thurston(midTN)

Glad you guys don't know where I live. If you came into my yard and cut the thistles, you'd be getting a visit from the police.

Maybe the neighborly thing to do would have been to visit with the new neighbor and explain your concerns.

Bookmark   July 17, 2011 at 8:31PM
anntn6b(z6b TN)

Thurston, Surely you don't mean to say that you let thistles go to seed in your yard? Unless you own four hundred acres in any direction, you really would be a bad neighbor.
I didn't cut them down. FWIW. I expect his landlord, who owns the fields around that house and who cuts hay from those fields, might have been the 'cut or else' instigator.

Bookmark   July 21, 2011 at 3:27PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I need one of the "good guys" to visit some of the fields around my place. You'd think that the hay people would want to cut the hay BEFORE the dang things went to seed, but that's not how it happens most of the time. One field, a few miles away, was especially bad last year. It was like 50 acres of pure thistle.

Bookmark   July 21, 2011 at 4:53PM
thurston(midTN)

Yes and no. I do spread new seed each year where I want them. But just as they finish blooming, the flower heads are cut off into a plastic bag and disposed of. So it's a controlled seeding and I dig up a lot of them when they sprout in the Spring.

I grew up digging them out of cow pastures.... maybe that's why I like them now. I also have a patch of Queen Anne's Lace and butterfly weed.

I'd gladly let any of you come pull up the poison ivy that seems to have made a resurgence this year.......

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 8:42PM
anntn6b(z6b TN)

Thurston,
Any chanch you're successfully growing artichokes? Similar plant, but delicious. My seedlings got wiped out by a hail storm, but I will try them again, next year.

Bookmark   July 24, 2011 at 10:15PM
More Discussions
Composting Leaves
I have a huge pile of leaves, trying to speed up composting...
maternut
Evergreen trees with large leaves
I'm seeing them all around and wonder what they are?...
ryseryse_2004
**** Spring 2015 East Tennessee Plant Swap ****
The Spring 2015 East Tennessee Plant Swap will be held...
brandon7 TN_zone
Please ID this plant grown in Nashville, TN
Hello folks!, I brought this plant back to LA (Cali)...
lizzieroux
New to Chattanooga TN
Moved here about a month ago and can't wait to garden....
poppiesandmarigolds
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™