Food plots for critters

jbest123(Zone 5 PA)December 7, 2008

When I need a break from work at home, I go to camp and work harder. :o( It is very relaxing though. I just made a post in my journal I hope you will enjoy as much as I did being there.;o)

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenbean08_gw(PNW)

John,
I read your latest post about converting your garden. My raised beds I started this year were filled kinda lasagna style with aged horse manure, leaves, pine needles, coffee grounds, whatever I could find last spring. I tossed a little dirt in there (ok, it was some really sandy fill dirt, but I figured it added some sort of mineral content). The bulk of my garden is compost materials. When the garden finished this fall, I very much wanted to dig down to see if there was anything recognizable left in there, but the worms were so thick in there, I felt bad digging around in their world. As far as I did dig, it was all broken down.

The beds shrank down by about a third over the season as everything was broken down. I added some more manure and leaves etc this fall. I poked down through the top layer of leaves to check progress, and the worms are making their way through the new stuff as well.

By the sheer number of worms are we going to be growing in pretty much pure compost, or worm castings??

Bookmark   December 13, 2008 at 1:48AM
jbest123(Zone 5 PA)

gb, how well did your garden produce the first year? I was also surprised how quickly the worms moved up into the beds and how many. ThatÂs why I am not too keen on using landscape fabric.

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

Bookmark   December 13, 2008 at 6:06AM
greenbean08_gw(PNW)

I was pretty happy with how well it did, so I expanded it...

A lot of my worms were imported with the aged horse manure, but I'm sure there were some around here somewhere. About the only digging I did was to level the wood frames and to try and loosen the ground underneath somewhat but I think I saw one, maybe two worm in the ground when I was digging.

I actually made my husband come outside to look at all the worms I found in the garden last week. He was not nearly as excited about it as I was...

I'm linking my previous post about how the new garden produced if you'd like to check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Veggie garden

Bookmark   December 13, 2008 at 12:42PM
More Discussions
Lateral space for dripline irrigation in square foot garden?
Hello! I'm pretty new to square foot gardening and...
poppenschmaltz
Sealing wood framed raised boxes?
I'm planning on building several raised beds for my...
djscrapbooks
How deep does a raised bed need to be?
I'm new to SFG and was wondering if the depth of the...
pinkkpearls
Weed Barrier
I was excited to find this forum. I started dabbling...
mtnrunner
Looking for bloggers
I am looking for folk interested in writing about square...
Andrew_Green
Sponsored Products
Calais Kitchen Island - PV-CA-4224-S
Hayneedle
Borgonovo Hermetic 145-oz Jars (Pack of 6)
Overstock.com
Buffalo Tool Cicgrind Corn and Grain Manual Clamp Grinder
Overstock.com
Chef Dean Fearing Grilling Gift Set - N/A
$180.00 | Horchow
Cuisinart SCO-60 Deluxe Stainless Steel Can Opener - 086279010391
$53.99 | Hayneedle
Thistle Lamb's Ear Arrangement
$12.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™