Chitting potatoes (correct spelling)

jbest123(Zone 5 PA)December 11, 2008

I always buy small seed potatoes and plant them hole. I have had better luck doing this other than buying large ones and chunking them. This year I will be chitting my seed potatoes removing all sprouts leaving only two plants per seed spud. I am doing this in an attempt to produce more larger potatoes and fewer small ones. Has any one tried this and what kind of luck did you have?

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sinfonian(U8b A2 S5 SeaWA)

I don't remember which seed potatoes I planted where in my BAYG bins, but I had a mix of larger and smaller seeds. Only one potato seed didn't germinate out of two pounds. I didn't cut the larger potatoes into two or three eye pieces last year. Not sure if I'll do that this year or not.

Now for the coming year, I saved the smallish potatoes I harvested for seed. Not sure they'll hold out until it's time to plant (March I believe). If they do I'll test your theory.

My fear is that the runt potatoes will grow runt potatoes. Not sure if that logic holds for plants. We shall see.

Bookmark   December 13, 2008 at 2:17AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jbest123(Zone 5 PA)

sinfonian, I have planted the small seed potatoes for the last several years. When I would chunk them, I would let them set until they scabbed over before planting them. When I dug them up to see why they did not sprout, they were all mush. My seed potatoes this year were about the size of a golf ball and they produced several potatoes in the 1 ¼# range so I do not think it is in there DNA to produce small potatoes.

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

Bookmark   December 13, 2008 at 6:22AM
More Discussions
SFG drip system
As I ponder building my boxes and irrigation I am considering...
tedeboy
Cold Weather Covers
I made a cover for a 4x4 box going off the instructions...
mtnrunner
pine vs cedar for raised bed
I am building 2 4'x8' raised beds. Last year I built...
rersoap
Lateral space for dripline irrigation in square foot garden?
Hello! I'm pretty new to square foot gardening and...
poppenschmaltz
Mel's Mix versus 100% Compost
Hello all, I am starting some boxes for growing. I...
bsntech
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™