Huge juniper(?) bush/tree/topiary trim

household61974May 15, 2013

We moved into a rental home in November. Because this bush was encroaching upon the sidewalk to our front door, I took a chance at pruning it back with a set of hedge trimmers. After one short "pass", what resulted was the brown ugliness you see in the picture. We obviously didnt want to look at a brown ugly bush everty day (neither would our neighbors). So I figured it would grow back in spring and that would be the appropriate time to trim it back.

Obviously, the cut area hasn't grown back, although there is new growth on the remainder of the bush.

Here's my dilemma - I would rather not cut down the bush. It's a nice element of the landscaping. However, I also don't want to have to duck or get swatted by a prickly bush every time we go outside. Are there any options?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
household61974

Pic 2 of 3

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 8:46AM
household61974

Pic 3 of 3

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 8:48AM
botann(z8 SEof Seattle)

Talk to the landlord. That plant has outlived it's usefulness. It should never have been planted there in the first place.
Mike

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 12:37AM
mikebotann(8a SE of Seattle)

I looked at it again.
It's not a juniper, but a Chamaecyparis obtusa. I can't tell if it's a dwarf or not because it's been sheared to almost beyond recognition.
I have that same tree and some are over 30 ft tall.
My advice still stands. It needs to go. Just cut it off real low and plant a ground cover over the stump until you decide what to replace it with or not. If cut low it will not sprout from the stump.
A herbicide won't be needed.
Mike

Bookmark   September 23, 2014 at 7:39PM
lynngun

I am wondering if you could just cut the troublesome branches farther down. This form of pruning will encourage growth. The problum you have is that there are no leaves in the intereior. Those brown sticks will not grow more leaves for a while. Pruning farther down could work. I would suggest seeking out someone who knows more then me. If you really do not want to cut it down you could go to a local nursery, garden center, or extension office and ask them. They could tell you how to properly prune it, how hard is needed, and if this is even the best coarse of action.

I wish you success.

L.G.

Bookmark   on Sunday at 4:41PM
More Discussions
Arborsculpture
Not exactly topiary, but close enough. I've been thinking...
thatadeniumguy
Where to buy Topiary Frame
This is my first post to this forum, although I've...
CranburyGardener
Blue Juniper
I have two blue junipers(wichita,I believe)in two concrete...
bigred
Where to find topiary forms
Does anyone know where to purchase wreath frames and...
Linda3527
Where to find them on the internet?
I was just wondering if anyone buys their topiaries...
jhayward
Sponsored Products
Gea Pendant by LZF
$820.00 | Lumens
Graff - Qubic SOLID Trim Plate w/Handle & Diverter - G-7090-LM38S-OB-T
$514.50 | PlumbTile
Bristol King Set - IVORY
$5,599.00 | Horchow
Thermostatic Shower Valve Kubix Concealed 2 Outlet Twin & Diverter
Hudson Reed
Schonbek Trilliane Collection 28" Wide Crystal Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Juniper Outdoor Rug
Grandin Road
CAL Lighting Lamp Shades 12 in. White Vertical Piped Basic Bell Shade
$30.80 | Home Depot
Trilliane Silver Three-Light Crystal Swarovski Elements Wall Sconce, 11.5W x 10.
Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™