Hibiscus Help

lynn08July 3, 2008

I bought a hibiscus from walmart on a whim cause it was marked down so much. I put it in a huge pot on my deck. It is really gorgeous. What should I do this fall for it? Does it need to be cut back or anything?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amazindirt(7A mid-TN)

First, check to see whether it's a hardy hibiscus or a tropical one. It is probably tropical -- I don't think I've ever seen hardy hibiscus at Walmart. If it is tropical, you'll need to take it inside -- it won't survive outside over the winter.

When you do take it in, cut it back and give it as much humidity as you can while it's inside. Many or most of the leaves will fall off when you take it in, but don't panic. I got three tropical hibiscus through the winter inside this past year. :-)

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 7:44AM
lynn08

Thanks for the reply. I am pretty sure it is a tropical. I tossed the tag by accident. The hardy ones are the ones with the huge flowers, right? Do you think it would be ok in the garage? I am cramped for space indoors. Thanks for your help!

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 11:40PM
maemae0312

I have never tried to over winter a hibiscus in the garage but I do have numerous tropical plants that I over winter in the garage. The key is not to over water them, and put them in the warmest part of your garage And (this is the hard part) train your family not to leave the door up for any reason!!!!! I told mine all winter long they were going to be personally resposible for global warming if they killed my plants.

Mary

Bookmark   July 5, 2008 at 2:27AM
amazindirt(7A mid-TN)

Hi again -

The hardy hibiscus don't *always* have huge flowers, but the huge ones are most common. If yours blooms in any color outside of the white/pink/red/purple range (yellow, orange, apricot, etc.) then it's definitely tropical. The bush structure is also different, with the tropical ones making more of a true bush while the hardy ones are more like large stalks coming out of the ground.

I dunno about the garage. You'll just have to try it and see. Good luck!

Bookmark   July 5, 2008 at 7:55AM
lynn08

Yep, its tropical. It is apricot colored and a true large bush. I am just going to try and clear out a space in my office for it. I get attached to my flowers once I care for them all summer~ don't want to risk the garage.

thanks again!

Bookmark   July 5, 2008 at 7:50PM
connietn

I think I read somewhere once that tropical hibiscus has glossier/darker leaves.

Anyway, yes, it can come inside for the winter and should do very well! It might drop leaves, as mentioned, but it leafs right back out in spring. I did this several times, and I am not well-known for coddling house plants :)

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 7:19PM
amazindirt(7A mid-TN)

I hadn't thought about the glossy leaves, but now that you mention it I can see that you're right. Good thought!

Bookmark   July 9, 2008 at 1:29PM
More Discussions
Williamson County Master Gardener Plant Sale and Garden Expo
Williamson County Master Gardner Association Invites...
bbhillarts
Japanese Maple Autumn Moon
I would like to know if anyone knows of a nursery in...
alan_ill
Which Fruit Trees to plant?
I just purchased 3 acres and a small house. The entire...
hopin4rain
Please ID this plant grown in Nashville, TN
Hello folks!, I brought this plant back to LA (Cali)...
lizzieroux
plants to give away.
I live in Ringgold, GA near Chattanooga. I have some...
mrlynn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™