Creeping fig question

Mike_Olbinski(z8 AZ)May 18, 2004

I have 4 figs in my backyard, all are growing well, but they are against cement block walls...

They seem to sometimes grow up, and attach, but as they get taller, the top parts will separate from the wall and just start to hang down.

I also have some places where a lot of branches that have cris-crossed, are coming off the wall, and hanging down.

Am I worried for no reason that they wont eventually cover this entire wall? or do they have a hard time sometimes on certain surfaces?

Thanks for any advice!

Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nandina(8b)

Give them a hair cut. Trim off the hanging branches. It is necessary to keep creeping fig trimmed close to a wall for all over growth. Won't hurt it a bit and it will begin clinging to the wall again and give you full coverage.

Bookmark   May 19, 2004 at 5:19PM
ianna(Z5b)

We use them to cover our cement walls (back home in Southeast Asia). Usually the walls are rough enough for the plants to cling to. You can imbed something for them to cling if you like. Can you imbed nails just so (and not too protruding)for the 'roots' to grab hold? Can you use some wires or netting (invisible ones) to hold the plants in place until they can get a good grip on the wall. Oh and like Nandina said, they need good haircuts.

Bookmark   May 21, 2004 at 1:38PM
Mike_Olbinski(z8 AZ)

Thanks guy!

I actually did some of the hair cut trimming, and that seemed to work. I'll just make sure I keep up on them, and keep hanging branches trimmed.

Our walls are probably rough enough, I know one of them has really attached well.

I really love these vines, they are just so nice looking when they start covering the wall.

Mike

Bookmark   May 21, 2004 at 1:49PM
jeanneckelly

Does anyone have advice on getting it to stick? Mine is gowing through it's first growth spurt - doesn't have the long hanging bits yet - but won't adhere to the wall. We have a net up and everything trying to keep it as close as possible to the wall but to no avail. Thanks for any help!

Bookmark   June 22, 2006 at 10:20PM
Mike_Olbinski(z8 AZ)

Wow, I totally forgot about this place :)

Anyways, to make mine grow faster, I drilled some trellis's to the wall...

Here is what's I've done:
http://www.theolbinskis.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10003/2006_0513Backyard0010.JPG

http://www.theolbinskis.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10003/2006_0513Backyard0021.JPG

It really made them take off...

You have to drill each in with about 7-8 concrete wall screws.

Good luck!

Bookmark   June 23, 2006 at 12:15AM
carolinagirl24

I have some creeping fig growing up a brick wall. How do i keep it growing upward and not covering the ground as well?

Bookmark   August 7, 2007 at 7:16PM
loro

We just planted a creeping fig next to our block wall but are now having second thoughts. Will this plant undermine the wall? Is it too invasive? Thanks!

Bookmark   September 10, 2007 at 11:22AM
More Discussions
Where to buy Topiary Frame
This is my first post to this forum, although I've...
CranburyGardener
Pleached hornbeams
I'm thinking of putting a row of pleached hornbeams...
goodscents
Where can I purchase a full grown topiary
Hi. I'm looking to buy a full grown topiary, preferably...
ehon
Topiary
Topiary is the horticultural practice of training live...
priyaspageo
Braiding hibiscus...potting soil? Winterizing indoors or out
I have three small hibiscus startings...wishing to...
cadillactaste
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™