Black beetles destroying crookneck squash

veggiepirate(6)July 14, 2008

All of my crookneck squash plants have recently died after producing just a few squash. At first I thought it was the Squash Vine Borer, but upon further inspection, it appears that there are tiny black beetles (less than 1/4 in. long) that are boring through my squash vines. It almost looked like termite damage when I tore open the dead vines. I believe the same thing happened to my zucchini plants, they also died very quickly. I don't think it's the squash bug as I have already researched it. Does anyone have any idea what this pest is or might be?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Probably not...but could it be Black Flea Beetles? I think they usually attack other stuff, but they do look like you describe.

Bookmark   July 17, 2008 at 2:57PM
veggiepirate(6)

That is what someone on another forum suggested also. I had never heard of them, but I think that might be what it is after looking them up. Thanks for the suggestion!

Bookmark   July 17, 2008 at 5:22PM
cnsisme

Thanks for bringing this up. We live in Maryville and have had the same problems with our squash and zucchini. It was a mystery to us. My husband put some insect dust and all but one of our plants came back and have started to produce.

Bookmark   July 27, 2008 at 10:23PM
Hesterp

I just found these this morning after losing three plants almost overnight, small black beetles boring into the vines. I will try soapy spray, they are definitely not the flea beetle, much larger. About 1/4" long.

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 12:14PM
More Discussions
questions from new TN gardener
I'm not a new gardener but new Z7, southwest TN. Will...
ryseryse_2004
New to Knoxville
I'm new to Knoxville TN and new to gardening in general....
freshvegetables
plants to give away.
I live in Ringgold, GA near Chattanooga. I have some...
mrlynn
Help with Knockout Roses
I have lost 4 mature Knockout Roses, about 10 years...
neil64
NE Tennessee problems
So I moved from way out in the country to near Downtown...
Chris Cousineau
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™