Creeping Fig Question

jim13_gardenerJune 21, 2007

Does anyone know if Creeping Fig will adhere to a reed fence? My backyard had a high chain link fence I wanted to cover for privacy, so I put the reed fencing over it and planted something called Purple Wing, because I could still see through the reed. I was told it grows fast, which it does, but it doesn't provide much coverage. Mostly it just hangs down from the top with a few branches pushing through here and there. I'm told Creeping Fig provides a blanket of green, which is just what I want, but I don't know if it will grow on this type of surface. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

It has sticky 'feet', like ivy. If you are planning to grow 'ordinary' Ficus pumila then you may find that the adult stems and foliage are too robust for the reed fencing. If the reeds break down, over time, then the stems could leave the wall in sheets - as I've seen ivy do.

Unless it is weedy in your area - would a jasmine give you the cover you're wanting? Or Trachelospermum, if it grows strongly in your climate.

Bookmark   August 26, 2007 at 5:59AM
More Discussions
Where can I buy a myrtle topiary?
I would really like to buy myrtle topiaries online...
Brian
Topiary
Topiary is the horticultural practice of training live...
priyaspageo
Where to find topiary forms
Does anyone know where to purchase wreath frames and...
Linda3527
Ficus Topoairy very Unwell
Hi all, new to the site. Im the opposite to a green...
REVersailles
Boulevard Cypress-What will it do?
Hi all! I've just planted a Boulevard Cypress Poodle...
angieebert
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™