Standard Bay tree.

outdoorman(lincolnshire)June 17, 2003

I have a bay tree with a single stem and want to make the top into a ball shape. At what height do I stop it's upward growth and how do I make it into this shape?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windswept_farm(z5 Upstate NY)

Hi- I have a bay standard that I started as a single stem also. It is about 7 years old and 4' tall in a pot with about a 16" ball. I was told to cut the main stem when it reached the height that I wanted then gradually trim up the stem leaving the leaves/side shoots that I wanted to form the ball. Also, keep cutting the suckers that come up from the soil. Once the side shoots start growing at the top of the stem, trim to shape the ball.

Hope that helps! I love my bay but we have a love-hate relationship. Every year I have to deal with scale on the plant but I can't bear to give up on it!

Michelle

Bookmark   June 20, 2003 at 9:01PM
ianna(Z5b)

Michelle,
I too have a bay I'd like to train. Please tell me the size of the pot your tree is growing in & where do you keep the tree during winter - North or south window?

Thanks
Ianna

Bookmark   June 24, 2003 at 12:51PM
windswept_farm(z5 Upstate NY)

Hi Ianna-

My bay tree is in a 12" pot. Its been in that sized pot for quite some time. I try to freshen the soil every year when I bring it outside in the late spring. I always bring the pot inside in the fall as the temps get colder. Usually when frost warnings start.

I don't get enough southern exposure in this house so the plant stays in a western window through the winter. We will be moving soon and I plan to put it in a southern window when the time comes.

Hope that helps!

Michelle

Bookmark   June 26, 2003 at 9:02AM
allie_thepaintedhome_co_uk

Hi, Can any-one please give me some advice on 'Topiary '?
I have a very big Bay tree growing in my garden, in the earth, not a pot. I would love to cut it into a Peacock shape. Firstly, is this shape possible for a Bay ? If so, what do I do ?
With thanks to any-one who can help me,
Allie

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 7:11AM
More Discussions
Boulevard Cypress-What will it do?
Hi all! I've just planted a Boulevard Cypress Poodle...
angieebert
Hicks Yew for topiary?
Hi - has anyone ever used columnar Hicks yew for slim...
Mafalda
Arborsculpture
Not exactly topiary, but close enough. I've been thinking...
ThatAdeniumGuy
Keeping Rosemary Topiary Alive
I just bought an absoluteley gorgeous double ball rosemary...
ralston6000
buying topiary
My sister-in-law purchased live topiary (rosemary,...
Smkwp
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™