Backwards landscaping

tenngardenJuly 13, 2013

I'm sure this is not a new idea. I started this in Florida because i had a house with low windows. My plan was to make every window a garden view. Problem was, following traditional landscape design, lower in front layering up to tallest in the back, i could not see many of my favorite flowering plants from the windows. When I finally settled in this house in TN, the windows were also lower than normal. I landscaped backwards, layering my smaller flowering plants towards the foundation and building the layers so the taller plants are in the front of the bed. U need to take sun direction into consideration, mines's fine. I can now see all of my plants from inside, windows aren't blocked by taller plants and birds, bees and butterflies are visible no matter where i am, inside or outside. And because i'm on a hill, my plants in front are almost visible to the neighbors at the bottom of the hill surrounding me. I have a very large front yard, but want to share the beauty of my plants with all. It also makes accessing my house and foundation much easier. This is not for the traditionalist and my garden is very eclectic, almost wild. I go for really big perennials since i am so far up the road. Try a section of backwards landscaping and see if it works for u.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
louisianagal(z7bMS)

I love that idea!

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 8:42PM
More Discussions
Help with Knockout Roses
I have lost 4 mature Knockout Roses, about 10 years...
neil64
questions from new TN gardener
I'm not a new gardener but new Z7, southwest TN. Will...
ryseryse_2004
Growing Grapes in Tennessee
In hopes of getting some conversation going in our...
brandon7 TN_zone
mtps
Don't miss The Middle Tennessee Plant Swap this Saturday!!! https://www.facebook.com/groups/64785223352/ http://www.midtnplantswap.com/...
bigorangevol
A couple of palms almost grew in Knoxville
This past year, a new Holiday Inn appeared on Papermill...
anntn6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™