HELP pruning 'Candleabra' Espalier

Wildwest(Zone 3a Edm AB)July 8, 2004

Hi everyone,

for several years I have been working on a candelabra espalier which I created from a young Cotoneaster shrub (used for hedging). It has been a slow but fun process.

This spring I decided to cut off the top of each branch to the same level which in hindsight I regret. By doing this, I had to retrain a side shoot to become the new leader which was time consuming. I have never done this before so am trying to learn as I go. Here is a picture:

Is it possible to encourage leaves to grow on the bark where there are no leaves (mostly on the inside frame)? How can I encourage a "bud" to form (by making some type of cut)? Any help would be appreciated. Here is a close-up of the area I would like to encourage leaf growth:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ianna(Z5b)

You are desribing a slight cut placed directly after a young bud, just deep enough so that the nutrients will go into the immature bud instead of going into the top of hte plant. A sort of diversion of nutrients. But the bud must exist before this can work out. You cannot utilize this technique on a branch where there are no leave or buds. It's quite tricky.

I have to say though, that if you trimmed off hte top of your beautiful candelabra, a side branch can easily be trained as the leader and in not time it will not be discernable that you've nipped off the top. I can see from your photos that you did this correctly. When your plant reaches the height you want, you can again nip off the tips, which will encourage the branches to thicken (and leaf out).

Hope that helps.

Ianna

Bookmark   July 20, 2004 at 3:18PM
More Discussions
Arborsculpture
Not exactly topiary, but close enough. I've been thinking...
ThatAdeniumGuy
what can I use for a Minnesota hardy evergreen topiary in pots
I'd like to have 2 topiaries flank my front porch pillars...
Ameliak
buying topiary
My sister-in-law purchased live topiary (rosemary,...
Smkwp
shaping a bunch of mulberry trees....?
When I was a child I lived on a lot that had one of...
hayley1999_99
Topiary
Topiary is the horticultural practice of training live...
priyaspageo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™