do you thin watermelon vines?

louisianagal(z7bMS)July 23, 2010

I am posting on Tenn. and GA. forums becoz ya'll have a more active forum. I'm actually in north MS hope you don't mind.

I have an area (a side yard or right of way) full of watermelon vines. The vines are quite healthy and there are several watermelon in various sizes. And the vines are absolutely full of flowers. I do not believe that these vines could support making watermelons from all of these flowers. So my question is should I thin out the vines to concentrate on the watermelons already there, or just let them be and see what amount of melons I get before a frost in late october or early november.???

What would you do or have you done if experienced.?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Watermelon vines often thin themselves to some degree, but in many cases, removing excess fruit can result in a better crop.

If the vines flower early, before they produce significant foliage (if I understand your post, this doesn't sound like your vine's problem), you can remove those early flowers to delay fruit set and encourage extra growth (needed to support the fruit later on).

Once the vines start producing fruit, wait until the fruit is about golfball size before removing it. Removing smaller fruit (before the vine aborts what it considers excess fruit) may be counter-productive. The number of melons a vine can support will vary with cultivar, weather, etc. So, leave your vine alone for a little while until it sets fruit and the fruit gets golfball size. Then, remove some fruit if you think there are too many melons.

Bookmark   July 24, 2010 at 2:08AM
More Discussions
Help with Knockout Roses
I have lost 4 mature Knockout Roses, about 10 years...
neil64
Which Fruit Trees to plant?
I just purchased 3 acres and a small house. The entire...
hopin4rain
Williamson County Master Gardener Plant Sale and Garden Expo
Williamson County Master Gardner Association Invites...
bbhillarts
New Gardener Looking for Help :D
Hey guys, I'm just an average teenager looking to get...
GardenerLee
groundcovers in SW Tennessee
I had lots of Lamium, creeping Thyme, mints in Illinois...
ryseryse_2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™