Lilly Pilly losing leaves

kristywSeptember 11, 2006

Hi everyone

I would appreciate some advice on my lilly pilly. When I bought it about a month ago, the tag said that it was an indoor plant and did not need any sunlight. I have been watering it every second day but the leaves have steadily become more dull and is losing leaves. At first, it was just a few, but now it is dropping them at a steady rate. Could this be because they want sunlight? Any advice would be appreciated

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

Is it a Syzygium or a Eugenia - and what sort?

Most of them are 'full sun or part shade' plants so some sunlight each day would be an idea. Start with morning sun - somewhere it won't get too hot because it won't be hardened off at all. Have you got a porch you could put it on? Or under a garden tree that lets dappled light through.

You might be overwatering, too. If it is drying out really quickly between waterings - it might need repotting - and possibly some root pruning if it has run wild in the pot. If it's OK, then put it up on feet in the protection saucer so the surplus water can drain away and air can get to the roots. Wait until the soil feels dry as deep down as the first joint on your finger - then water thoroughly. If the pot is not too big - put it into a bucket of water and wait for the bubbles to stop - but get it out within ten minutes, and let it drain before putting it back on its feet.

And some of it could also be 'changing leaves' for spring. A lot of the evergreens do a leafdrop around now.

Another possible is being in a cold draught. Easy-fix, that one!

Bookmark   September 13, 2006 at 6:15AM
More Discussions
Where can I purchase a full grown topiary
Hi. I'm looking to buy a full grown topiary, preferably...
ehon
Make some of your own topiary frames
I am a newbie to topiary... and I am sure my ideas...
caroles_jungle
Topiary
Topiary is the horticultural practice of training live...
priyaspageo
Pittosphorum needs reshaping
Hi, have around 15-20 of them, but some of them are...
nicinus
Where to find topiary forms
Does anyone know where to purchase wreath frames and...
Linda3527
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Floral Leaves Area Rug (7'10 x 9'10)
Overstock.com
Charles Petite 3 Piece Sofa Set in Black
$1,999.00 | LexMod
Mambo Area Rug - 2' x 3'
Grandin Road
Revolving Bamboo Chip and Dip
$49.99 | Dot & Bo
Uttermost Golden Leaves Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Argea Table Lamp
Lightology
People viewed this after searching for: